Romney/Rubio?

Maybe not. It might be too much Mormon for America.

In the compelling personal narrative that has helped propel Florida Senator Marco Rubio to national political stardom, one chapter has gone completely untold: Rubio spent his childhood as a faithful Mormon.

Rubio was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with his family at around the age of eight, and remained active in the faith for a number of years during his early youth, family members told BuzzFeed.

Rubio spokesman Alex Conant confirmed the story to BuzzFeed, and said Rubio returned to the Catholic church a few years later with his family, receiving his first communion on Christmas day in 1984 at the age of 13.

It might be a toxic mix if some Christians reject Romney for being a Mormon and some Mormon’s reject Rubio for being an apostate.

In any case, Romney alone probably maxes out the number of Osmond Brothers fans possible on a ticket.

13 Responses to Romney/Rubio?

1. JenR says:

Regardless of whether he chooses to be Mormon or Catholic I stand by my statement – I love Marco Rubio. I’d vote for him any day and I hope he does run for president at some point.

It should be a non-issue. He is a Roman Catholic now.

I mean, Obama was a Muslim as a child in Indonesia. Anyone who says Rubio is a Mormon has to also say that Obama is a Muslim.

“Anyone who says Rubio is a Mormon has to also say that Obama is a Muslim.”

Unless they are a leftist. They can say anything. It doesn’t have to make sense or follow a logical path.

Mormons eventually baptize everyone anyway. I hit the LDS genealogy site and found out my Czech ancestors in the Austrian Empire who never even heard of the LDS church were baptized a few years ago by my fifth cousins twice removed in Arizona.

Stop to tie your shoes outside of a Mormon Temple and – BANG! – you’re baptized baby.

I have no problem with this, by the way. If the Mormons are wrong about the Celestial Kingdom; no harm no foul. If they are right, I hope somebody baptizes me after I shuffle off this mortal coil.

Not to mention the fact that Obama was, for 20 years, a member in good standing of Reverend Wright’s Church of Hating Whitey.

6. JenR says:

No worries, RD. I’ve got you covered. ;-)

Okay Jen, I am counting on you. Don’t leave me hanging. :-)

Romney/Rubio 2012!

Rombio 2012

Copyrighted.

10. mare says:

This is a stupid non-issue.

11. TaterSalad says:

….and another issue not told:

Mitt Romney and Ron Paul seem to have a little side deal with the nomination. Notice that Paul “never” attacks Romney during the debates and on the airwaves. Seems a deal is in the works to provide Rand Paul, son, a cabinet position if Mitt is elected. Ron Paul has already stated he is not running again in Congress. He is only getting 10% support and still in the race? Must be true! What do you think?

Yeah, TaterSalad, something is up between Romney and Paul. Not sure what yet though…

Rick Perry thinks so too.

13. JCT says:

As we get all lathered up about GOP VP prospects, just remember these names:
    Dan Quayle, Walter Mondale, Al Gore, Hubert Humphrey, Dick Cheney and Joe Biden.

Or remember Harry Truman, Andrew Johnson, Lyndon Johnson, Gerald Ford, George H. W. Bush or others that have succeeded a President.

Or remember Spiro Agnew or Nelson Rockefeller.

Or stick with the view that the office is equivalent to a bucket of warm spit.

The GOP Presidential nominee has to be able to carry the water against President Obama. The GOP Vice Presidential nominee wiping the deck on Vice President Biden won’t matter nearly as much.