Going Galt and Charities

As part of the new Revoista “Going Galt” I have a philosophical quandary that I want to present to the group for your input. I have sufficient for my needs (but not a whole lot more) and I donate to charity and I tithe to my church (which also does a lot of charity work). It just so happens that my workplace annual charity drive occurred on Wednesday and we were given the opportunity to donate to various groups. After Tuesday, I was not in a good mood and my first thought was “these assholes voted for the other asshole, so screw’em”.

However, I’ve started to wonder if I’m being too harsh. Obviously, I want to donate to a charity that is efficient, but am I actually working against my own self-interests by unknowingly contributing to one that promotes an agenda that supports the people I’m working to get the hell away from? Are there charities out there that deserve what little extra I can provide and will encourage people to Go Galt (or at least be productive)? If so, what are they?

I’ll continue to tithe, and I’m happy to do so, so that’s not even on the table. Just the charities are under my mental scrutiny. Your thoughts are appreciated.

36 Responses to Going Galt and Charities

I have narrowed my charitable giving down to…

1) My church

2) Lutheran Charities

3) Friends in need

2. vanagram says:

It’s easy to get jaded when you feel every person on the planet has their hand out, or hand in your pocket (or voting to put their hand deeper in your pocket). I feel you pain.

I struggle with charities in general, only as that is yet another role the government has largely taken over in the form of welfare and entitlement programs. In that regard, we all tithe every April 15th — and it’s not voluntary.

I’ve been increasingly leaning toward two comments RD makes frequently: 1) You just get more of whatever gets subsidized and 2) You can’t solve poverty by giving poor people money. As such, all you get is more people who remain poor.

I tend to limit my charitable donations nowadays to things like cancer research, Alzheimer research etc. v. “social” issues, or I give for specific things (tangibles) that are needed for our church or school. In short, new projector for the classroom? Yes. Church fund drive for Mission in Hati? No.

3. zack66 says:

Special Olympics – 4.4% goes to administration and 83.1% goes to the actual program. They are a 4 star rated charity.

St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. 81% of all money goes directly to research and treatment for children with cancer and other catastrophic diseases.

4. Fubar says:

Not giving to a charity or honestly needy people is +1 for the dark side. This divides us further. This takes us further away from what being a “American” is. And a human being. it’s bad enough that a lot of us are deluded into thinking that babies are an ‘inconvenience’.

The dilemma is how to “give” to charity when charity is run by a person in power and power corrupts.

Is it possible for you to give of your time, services, goods, instead of money?

I won’t give to the ARC, because they are supposed to be a charity, but charge for donuts and coffee. I will however, give to the Salvation Army.

I agree, Van. We just bought a video microscope for my son’s classroom. That is good for my son, but it is good for the other kids too and I know where every penny went. Charity begins at home.

6. AndyGump says:

Fisher House

7. Locke n Load says:

Years ago I made the decision to never give to groups that had high overhead and low disbursements. Didn’t matter if I liked the cause, they weren’t getting cash. That means United Way can take a hike. Most large cancer funds were just as bad amd frankly, the breast cancer fundraisers are IMHO out of control. Gobs are spent on breast cancer, not so much on othre more deadly forms so ta-ta tatas. That leaves childrens hospitals in my wheelhouse and after my daughters experience, hell yes.

Other than that I’d prefer to donate clothes to a church than anywhere else, and the Vets will always get money from me. No-kill pet shelters as well.

Keep it local, in your neighborhood if you can. Spend the dollars wisely so you can see the results

8. RUDE JUDE says:

The American Legion Child Welfare Foundation;

In its 58th year, The American Legion Child Welfare Foundation has awarded $734,220 to 20 nonprofit organizations whose mission is to care for the overall well-being of America’s most precious natural resource—children.

Mr Rude and I dontate a large sum each year for our Christmas charity. My parents insist that all of their kids give each year to a charity of their choosing. I see the results firsthand as I work at TAL Headquarters in the Americanism and Children & Youth Division.

9. slinger says:

For the most part, I stick with Christian charities. I have a strong bond of trust with any charity that proclaims Christ, and I tend to avoid any charity that does not. It’s all about trust … no trust, no money.

I am a big supporter of World Vision. Our church actually supports an entire village in Zimbabwe. World Vision does this thing they call ADP, or Area Development Project. It is really a “teach a man to fish” kind of process. They show the village how to best organize and care for its resources, teach them how to irrigate their crops, etc.

One charity I avoid now is Susan G Komen. I used to donate to that cause until I found out that they support Planned Parenthood. I will not give a dime to any cause that directly or indirectly supports abortion in any way.

Charity is one of the greatest avenues for us to vote with our dollars. Also, by giving to charity, you reduce your taxes. What? You mean I can help the causes that are dear to my heart while at the same time starve the beast of its ability to wage war against me? Sign me up!

10. DarthJay says:

I’d say unless you know exactly who runs the organization and exactly where the money is going, it’s a risky bet. I donate to:

1) My Church

2) Local church-based item resellers (for non-monetary donations)

3) I have a very close family friend who is a counselor at a boarding school in Africa for missionary kids and, on the side, he has a feeding and computer center program for African kids. Would be happy to pass on the info if you’re interested. :)

That’s pretty much it.

11. Locke n Load says:

School libraries and music depts are chronically underfunded in our part of texas. Unfortunately they have such restrictive rules about donations that only money can be accepted because they demand that NEW books be bought. I’ve been banging my head against that wall with our local school for 5 years now.

Keeping it local in this case means I’m going to have to petition the district to change the rules and allow used book donations. For those wanting to make a diffewrence locally, start with your school boards. Run for office

I would suggest this. Whether you agree with him or not, Glenn Beck is a charitable man.

When Mercury One sees an emergency, we don’t wait for the government – we organize, mobilize, and become a first responder on the scene. Earlier this spring when tornados ripped through America’s heartland, we didn’t watch the news paralyzed and wonder what could be done. Mercury One and local groups around the country went to Indiana and Kentucky and asked, “How can we help?”.

Within 48 hours, Mercury One received over $500,000 in donations. Mercury One pledged that 100% of these donations would go towards the tornado relief efforts – 0% to administrative costs. To date we have kept that promise, and continue to work with faith-based organizations in over seven states to get these funds to the individuals and communities that need them the most.

13. Rockheim says:

I keep all my donations local. Local food pantries, Churches, Volunteer FD, and I give to the Boy Scouts as well.
    Find a cause that either resonates with you or something you can see in action. That’s why I keep my charity local as I can.
    And on occasion I will donate time or money to one of the bigger charities such as St. Judes or Childrens Memorial hospital.

14. JenR says:

Roy,

Ours are probably similar to yours:

1) Tithes and fast offerings
    2) Donations of clothing/goods to Deseret Industries
    3) Canned goods to local food bank
    4) Family, friends, neighbors in need

For my son’s Eagle Scout project he did a service project for the children’s hospital and it was a great experience. I would encourage more youth and families to find ways to do service projects that benefit local hospitals or retirement homes that may need the extra help.

15. DarthJay says:

Glenn Beck was at our church a couple weeks ago. :O

(I thought he was a Mormon…)

16. Ironheads82 says:

Charity begins at home. First and foremost we have shifted from a “saving towards retirement” mode to an “aggressive survival scenario mobilization” and until fully realized, the funds stay home. They are similar in many respects, but different in time and speed. I think tithing, and just being of a Christian heart will tell you what to do. Prayer never hurts.

We too stay close to home with our giving.

First, to our church.

Then to others in spiritual and physical need.

Yes, I’m a sucker for families with little children.

I support some of the members of our local United Way, but never will support the entire outfit. I am an adult and I will choose.

I am also a sucker for someone down and out who comes to our door. I work hard at being discerning, but still get scammed every once in a while. If they say they want to work for whatever, I give them a task. That weeds out a lot of them. But I have also been blessed beyond belief by some of these folks.

I have thought about this.
    There are 3 types of wealth redistribution to “help” the poor.

1) Involuntary politician created programs.

2) Non-secular private charities.

3) Religion based charities.

I’ll pick #3 every time.
    #1 profanity deleted.

#2 The problem is there will be no behavior change. They get fed this meal. And next meal too?

#3 They have to listen about Jesus for an hour before chow time. This time cost discourages bums, and inculcates change of behavior for the better.

Its not just that, James. Church people know when they are being scammed by the lazy and they don’t like it. They see it as theft from the truly needy.

2 Thessalonians 3:10

For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

20. MadBrad says:

Roy, you have once again brought a thought provoking publication to the Revo.

As a former Red Cross Disaster Disaster Services Volunteer, I have to say do NOT donate to the Red Cross. They pay their permanent staff before anything or anyone else. It pains me to have to say that because I have been on the scene of many disasters and the Red Cross was the only people there to help with basic needs. The Red Cross gets plenty of money through the annual “Combined Federal Campaign” and are part of the United Way. The United Way has provided aid and comfort to Communist Revolutionaries. Fuck ‘em.

Your Church should always be the first priority. They know who will hold them accountable for their expenditures. More than that, in the times that are upon us the Christian Church must be strong and able to help. The people they are able to help will understand from whom their help comes and as a result they will be influenced to turn their lives toward the source of ALL help in a time of need.

I do believe that the Salvation Army is a most worthy organization.

Of course be ready to help the stranger in need who God puts in your path. That is where I’ve done my best work. I know that is what God wants me to do. I’ve always been mindful of the words of Christ; “Whatsoever you do to the least among us, that you do unto me”. Taking care of those who God puts in your path is a most effective way of telling God that you love him. Angels DO walk among us. Your eternal 401K will never lose value.

In the end we all want to hear the words “Enter into my Kingdom, my good and faithful servant”.

Correct R.D. Before my camp burned down, I rented to a Christian group, and they invited me to join them.

I asked how their church approaches charity. Their pastor told me giving money does not work. They will reward food and shelter, rehab, for tasks completed. Their goal is self sufficiency through behavioral change. If the person decides not to improve, they tell him they can no longer help until he decides to change.

I no longer donate to the Salvation Army. Here’s the scene:

Last winter, Dollar General Store, St Louis, Mi:

Ring. Ring. Ring.

Thank you. Your donations help out. Happy holidays.

“Happy holidays? What kind of shit is that?”

We’re no longer allowed to say ‘Merry Christmas’.

“What!?!”

I know man, regional office says we don’t want to offend anybody – I think it’s stupid, if you ask me.

“I want my money back. They do realize what the SALVATION is – in Salvation Army, right?”

Yeah. It’s messed up.

“Well, I’m not donating anymore, if their Christian charity won’t even allow their own Christians to acknowledge Christmas.”

God bless you.

23. RUDE JUDE says:

@JenR: The American Legion’s National Headquarters gives, for free, a nice Eagle Scout certificate signed by the National Commander. If you’d like one for you son, just drop a line or letter to PO BOX 1050, Indianapolis, IN 46206 attn: Eagle Scouts.

Good Luck to your son!

24. JenR says:

Rude Jude, thank you!

25. RUDE JUDE says:

You are very welcome JenR!

26. Kyle says:

Two charities that get our carefully considered funding:
    Compassion International. We sponsor two boys in Africa. They get a christian education and supplemental food and clothing, medical care, etc. They write letters so you get to know them. You can also just donate to their general fund, if you don’t want to commit to sponsoring a child.
    Samaritan’s Purse. Specifically their Operation Christmas Child, where you pack a shoebox with toys, school supplies, clothes, etc. and it is sent to children around the world, along with news of God’s gift to the world. They are collecting the shoeboxes this week for this year’s distribution.
    They also have a Christmas catalog where you can buy livestock/ tools/ etc. for people in poverty around the globe. These are given in a “teach a man to fish” sort of way, allowing people to start their own micro-businesses and begin providing for themselves.
    Samaritan’s Purse is also one of the best disaster-relief organizations around.

27. Locke n Load says:

Ok folks, I need some feedback here and I need it to be non-denominational AND logical. I’m more than a bit sceptical and certainly at a loss for a way to describe it but here goes…
    I’m getting these damned feelings again, like a calling. They’re pushing me to find refuge for friends. The message is simple…buy or build a town. I know, crazy. I don’t have the money, lol

Something is pushing me towards a pretty communal idea and its not leaving me alone. It tells me I’m actually supposed to go buy enough property to settle families. Like I’m supposed to be setting up people with a way to opt out, to find like minded people, and to get a farming/self sustaining community togehter. Am I the only one? What the hell is wrong with me? Why in the hell would I want to start a bank??

DocO, you alluded to this earlier and it really hit a nerve because its exatly what my instincts tell me to be aiming at…wtf?

People, you need to understand. I’m not a christian. I have no experience in your faith and I sure as hell don’t understand your ideas of a ‘calling’..but there it is. I can’t shake it and I haven’t been able to shortcircuit the messages for a year now. Please, tell me some of you have felt this way too.

I have no idea how to do this. None. I haven’t the money or resources. All I have is the idea and an uncanny feeling its where I’m supposed to go.

My family has circled the wagons after 15 years+ in diaspora. We were, quite literally, all over the map. (I was all over the globe)

My brother and his family were in Florida for years, sister/family in Texas, Me/family – all over. We all got the feeling that it was time to move home. For me, the wife & I felt it at the same time.

A few weeks after we made the call to move, I told her that I couldn’t help but feel like “we need to go now”. She said that she had been feeling the same way.

We moved on very short notice. Things have been rough ever since, for me. Never once, have I questioned the decision. My family gets together ever Sunday at my house for dinner. 20+ people. It’s like Thanksgiving – every week.

We have plans for various occasions, should the need arise (rather have one & not need it than need one & not have it).

I’m still holding out hope for that Powerball win :-) so I can create my own community. I knew there was a point coming in here, somewhere.

That’s what I’d do if money weren’t an object. Build a strong family community. Invest in businesses with other like-minded folks who are skilled in traditional crafts (in my case, my family members) and just circle the wagons.

We’d keep living our lives, active in our local community (as we are now) – but secure in the knowledge that we have all the loose ends tied up.

Til then, I just need to find a fucking job. :-)

29. Locke n Load says:

Money IS an object Nota, but its tangential. Ideas that need to be made real FIND cash. Thats what I’m fighting, acceptance that the idea IS real.

30. Locke n Load says:

One stoopid idea I’ve been fighting is the purchase of 50 acres. Put houses on it with farmland interspersed, room enough for cattle and crops. Room enough to sustain 15 families…

Its retarded, I know. But for some reason I can’t shake the thought. Folks need not only connections to their land, but land enough to be connected properly to their neighbors. Maybe I’m losing my mind,lol

31. Fubar says:

@Locke

I’m panicked by the thought that self sufficiency won’t be possible, not due to lack of enthusiasm or participants, but because those raw materials are not going to be attainable. I possibly sound like the guy with the sammich board THE MONSTER IS COMING, but i see the noose tightening.

I’m also not comfortable posting certain things for the entire world to see regarding this.

32. slinger says:

Locke,

I can’t say I haven’t been eyeing missile base properties :-)

I’ve been to the Titan Missile Museum (http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/), and that Titan site is pretty close to home for me … if only I could sell my house in this economy.

On one of my last business trips, I talked with a Canadian woman, and she told me about these communities they have up there. It is some sort of collective farming community that buys huge sections of land to farm. They sound kind of like technologically-modern Amish. They have their own cities, and they sound like they hold to Conservative principals. It all sounded extremely tempting to me.

33. Locke n Load says:

Slinger, those are the Hutterites. I know a few of them well, pull their hay into the parched colorado farms.

Its a religious sect and they call the towns ‘colonies’. BIG farmers and nice people but the surrounding populations take offense at thier isolation. I like ‘em. Good folks

Yeah, I dunno. Communalism and communism may not be the same species or family, but they are in the same phylum, class and order. It really doesn’t appeal to my palate either.

35. Locke n Load says:

lol, me, i’m thinkin more along the lines of john galt than joseph smith :)

36. slinger says:

The appropriate government architecture changes based on the size and composition of the population. In my home, I am king, as that is the appropriate architecture for my family composition. My children have very little say in the economic decisions I make as king. A republic is not a suitable architecture for a nearly-homogeneous community of 100 people. Heterogeneous with 1000 people, perhaps it is?

In reality, there would be a lot of similarities between a John Galt community and a Hutterite colony. Everyone in the community is hard-working and brings specialized skills to benefit the community. It would likely be a barter and trade economy. It is a far cry from communism. The members of the community elect whether or not they want to live there, just as we elect whether we want to live in a house governed by a HOA.

Like-minded patriots that decide to live in close proximity to each other, use their diverse and specialized skills to better themselves while simultaneously bettering their neighbors and community, and govern the community according to time-proven conservative principles … sign me up.

The anti-example would be Liberal, Missouri, which was founded on liberal principles. As you can imagine, it did not pan out so well.