What Really Has Me Down

I am trying to figure out what has me so depressed. It isn’t that there are hard times ahead. We all have hard times ahead. No matter what government exists, life is suffering. We will lose loved ones. We will suffer sickness. We will lose physical stamina. We will die. Life is pain and it has always been so. We all know that the future holds pain and we accept it stoically. I can accept and live with that future. I accepted a painful future since I realized I was mortal at the age of five or six.

What bothers me is my new understanding of the nature of my fellow citizens. I had always believed that 2008 was a fluke. A crashing economy and a weak GOP candidate was a perfect storm that let a slick talking, crypto-Marxist shyster slide into office. I was sure it would be corrected in 2012. The shellacking in 2010 confirmed my belief.

That view of 2008 and, therefore, of my fellow citizens was shattered last week. The scales have fallen from my eyes and I now realize that the majority of voting Americans are no longer the people I thought they were or the Founders envisioned they would be. The Founders saw Americans as individualistic, self-reliant, modest in their national ambitions, suspicious of the passions of the masses and in need of little from any sort of central bureaucracy.

Americans as the Founders saw them, it is now clear, are a dying breed. In their place is a new breed of American: dependent, needy, demanding, childish and weak. Until last Tuesday night, I didn’t believe it. Now I have to believe it.

I have no fear of the future. I have known all of my life that this existence is filled with pain and that everyone of us will eventually suffer and die. That is the nature of the human experience and nothing the government does or doesn’t do will change that. The worst case scenario we can envision will still be a better life than most of humanity has experienced.

What I can’t shake is the sadness associated with the further erosion in my already low estimation of my fellow man. Quoting Theodore Roosevelt…

In the last analysis a healthy state can exist only when the men and women who make it up lead clean, vigorous, healthy lives; when the children are so trained that they shall endeavor, not to shirk difficulties, but to overcome them; not to seek ease, but to know how to wrest triumph from toil and risk. The man must be glad to do a man’s work, to dare and endure and to labor; to keep himself, and to keep those dependent upon him. The woman must be the housewife, the helpmeet of the homemaker, the wise and fearless mother of many healthy children. In one of Daudet’s powerful and melancholy books he speaks of “the fear of maternity, the haunting terror of the young wife of the present day.” When such words can be truthfully written of a nation, that nation is rotten to the heart’s core. When men fear work or fear righteous war, when women fear motherhood, they tremble on the brink of doom; and well it is that they should vanish from the earth, where they are fit subjects for the scorn of all men and women who are themselves strong and brave and high-minded.

As it is with the individual, so it is with the nation. It is a base untruth to say that happy is the nation that has no history. Thrice happy is the nation that has a glorious history. Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

We are increasingly a nation of little more than cumberers of the earth’s surface, shirkers of duty and slothful cowards. I cannot help but mourn our loss.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life. 1900.

28 Responses to What Really Has Me Down

1. DarthJay says:

I, too, have had a lingering depression hanging over me since the election. I’ve been utterly shocked to find that I was in the minority of people who voted for Romney in my Texas neighborhood – and I’m not exactly in the ghetto. I think of the 20 people on my street, I know of one other family that voted Romney. Wow.

It’s also stunning to find out that in 2008, the “evangelical” voter turnout was 30% and this year it was 26%. I was sure that after the 2010 elections and the Chick Fil’A stuff that happened earlier this year that the “evangelical” vote would be overwhelming. What happened? Could Christians not get excited about a Mormon? Did they just refuse to see the path of destruction this country is on under Obama? I really don’t understand it.

If you’re a believer, there is some solace in knowing that God is still on the throne – no matter who is in charge here on earth. I can’t help but wonder, though, is Obama’s re-election God’s plan for this country…or God’s punishment? All I know is that I will continue to look up, but not be so foolish as to not take the necessary steps to make sure my family is taken care of over the next 4 years. To that point, I’m really excited about the new direction of The Revo – so thanks, RD. :)

2. Fubar says:

same sitchooashun here.

it helps a little knowing that fraud (again) played a part, but not much.

it also helps that the boiling pot has to be dealt with, no more stealth socialism –it’s in our faces. the dilemma of course, being that masses that are ok with it.

3. DocO says:

RD, DarthJay and Fubar, we are all simpatico in this funk.

For me it is even harder because so many of my friends voted for O and believe in the “soft” socialism that he is advocating.

The other thing that drives me nuts is how many of my friends can’t comprehend that there exists a reasoned and principled reason to oppose abortion. It’s all “War on Women” all the time.

I think God is using Obama in the same way he used the kings of Assyria and Babylon.

I think we have brought down on ourselves a time of reckoning.

“Turn around don’t look down go back the way you came.
    Babylon

4. DocO says:

RD, here’s a more poetic lament.

Pride of Man – Hamilton Camp

Turn around, go back down, back the way you came
    Can’t you see that flash of fire ten times brighter than the day
    And behold the mighty city broken in the dust again
    Oh God, the pride of man, broken in the dust again

Turn around, go back down, back the way you came
    Babylon is laid to waste, Egypt’s buried in her shame
    Their mighty men are beaten down, their kings have fallen in the ways
    Oh God, the pride of man, broken in the dust again

Turn around, go back down, back the way you came
    Terror is on every side, though the leaders are dismayed
    Those who put their faith in fire, in fire their faith shall be repaid
    Oh God, the pride of man, broken in the dust again

Turn around, go back down, back the way you came
    Shout a warning to the nations that the sword of god is raised
    On Babylon that mighty city, rich in treasure, wide in fame
    It shall cause thy tower to fall and make it be a pyre of flame
    Oh God, the pride of man, broken in the dust again

Oh thou that dwell on many waters, rich in treasure, wide in fame
    Bow unto a god of gold, thy pride of might shall be thy shame
    Oh God, the pride of man, broken in the dust again

And only God can lead the people back into the earth again
    Thy holy mountain be restored, thy mercy on thy people Lord

5. DocO says:

Here’s Gordon Lightfoot’s song based on Pride of Man

6. fubar says:

did someone mention somewhere about how Christians voted? or is it that they didn’t vote at all? (oh duh, it was DJ above) :P

how can we be sure that what we are being told is the truth, for one. they stole the election, are these the same people telling us who/how people voted?
    cause, hello, that is a good way to destroy the fighting spirit and divide us further —

am i alone in this thinking?

it might just be me, but i don’t know anyone who would vote for the antichrist, that’s why i was sure PA would go red. we have a R state assy and govnor. We have customers who voted D for decades and said they never would again since the rise of the commiecrat machine.

7. DocO says:

You’re not alone Fubar, but I think Occam’s Razor is in effect.

More precisely DocO’s theorem,

“Don’t ascribe to conspiracy that which can be explained by human stupidity and laziness”.

8. jacksonsdad says:

I could go into lots of “what if’s”… one of the most consequential being the “what if” concerning media bias. Something to the effect of “WHAT IF the media carried the water for (R)’s the way they do for (D)’s? WHAT IF they ignored every rightwing ‘scandal’ and blew up every little BS leftwing distraction (think PlameGate vs BenghaziGate). “WHAT IF they supported Voter ID and ridiculed Mickey Mouse/ The Dead casting votes? WHAT IF they screamed RACISM when black babies are killed in much higher proportion… when black people are locked into poverty by (D) policies… when We The People expect less from a group based solely on skin color? WHAT IF the shoe was on the other foot regarding media bias?”

I know, I know… it’s a ridiculous proposition. But does anyone believe that nothing would change if they didn’t have their thumb on the scale? What I’m getting at is this… even with the loudest and most obnoxious cheering section sucking the air out of the arena and even with the referees in their back pocket it’s STILL pretty much an even split. If the voting process hadn’t been corrupted we’d have a consistent majority despite having he deck stacked against us.

Yes, it’s depressing… and their 50+1 divisiveness breeds hate… LOTS of hate. But 58 million + is nothing to sneeze at. I look at the neighbor on my left and the neighbor on my right and only ONE of them is a douche. I’m gonna ignore one and embrace the other.

9. EastBayLarry says:

Sure sure it’s all very depressing, but as somebody said above “God’s still in charge”.
    Since collapse seems to be in our future, let’s all help it along and get to the recovery more quickly.

To further JD’s point, a 406,000 total vote shift across four states – that is a third of one percent of votes cast – would have put Mitt in the White House.

11. BigJimTX says:

So they only had to “lose” 500,000 Romney ballots to make it go the way they wanted? It wouldn’t be terribly difficult to do if it was 0.4% of votes cast.

12. BarbaCat says:

I give you this charge:

2 Preach the word; be prepared in season and out
    of season; correct, rebuke and encourage — with
    great patience and careful instruction.
    3 For the time will come when people will not put
    up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own
    desires, they will gather around them a great number
    of teachers to say what their itching ears want to
    hear.
    4 They will turn their ears away from the truth
    and turn aside to myths.
    5 But you, keep your head in all situations, endure
    hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge
    all the duties of your ministry.

13. Z says:

some very interesting links in there

14. Z says:

I want to take my loss like a man – but I’m still shocked at the outcome. We has so much data pointing our way. So, either the data was wrong, or the results were wrong, right?

“I want to take my loss like a man…”

Me too and, by God, we are going to. Look, what if pandemic flu was killing millions? What if nukes took out a few cities? What if a fluke killing frost in the growing season resulted in a widespread food shortage? Would we all be whining like pussies? I don’t think so. We would deal with it.

This isn’t necessarily as bad as any of those things. It sucks, but damn, your family isn’t dead. You still have the means to survive.

We recently found out that slightly more than half of the voting public is either stupid or craven cowards wanting a hug from the mommy state. That is damned disappointing but it is what it is. We drive on.

I have no fear whatsoever.

16. messup says:

Here’s proof taxpayer money was used to buy Obama’s re-election!Remember his “stimulus?” And then QEI,II, TWIST and then QEIII? And his incessant travels, campaigning and junkets for his family?

Gird ones loins for here’s his game plan since entering into office!

Election 2012 – Obama was 100% backed by Americas financial sector
    Here’s proof! Despite Obama’s threat to:
    1)Soak the wealthy for more taxes
    2)Fed Reserve Chairman’s attack on savers
    3)Kill special treatment for dividends
    Americas financial sector threw itself at Obama’s feet, as never before for any President in their first term in this past century.
    Two examples, since Obama’s election in 2008:
    1)S & P 500 gained 76%
    2)NASDAQ 100 is up 128%
    Compare this with G.W. Bush’s first term in office:
    1)S & P 500 a decline of 13%
    2)NASDAQ 100 a wipeout of 45%
    Or even Ronald Reagan’s meager 25% gain his first term in office or Bill Clinton’s 1990’s growth during his first term of 60%.

This was engineered by Obama administration’s:
    1)Fe

17. Z says:

Thank you for keeping me on my toes.

It would have been more accurate for me to have said “im prepared to take the loss like a man, but i’m not certain yet that we did lose”

It may be a losing battle (or maybe a fictitious one if my data is incorrect), but my only point is that if it came down to 400k or so votes in battleground states, it’s not beyond the imagination that those votes could have been fraudulently attained.

18. Ironheads82 says:

RD, you truly moved me. I have been struggling to really put my feelings together, to stay upbeat. What I really needed to do was focus on the truth. We, as a nation, have completely lost our way.God Bless you all and God Bless America.

I always thought that some day a group from the left would take down our country. After all Nikita Kruschev predicted it. What more proof did I need? “We will bury you”. I always thought it would go gradually.

This group has made careful plans and they have their people in the right positions. In my ignorance I expected a little here and a little there.

Nope. This group in power now has the tools to make it go faster and faster.

I have thought for some time that the appointment of Eric Holder to head of Justice was the pivotal requirement. Once he was in that office he could ignore all the intimidation by the New Black Panthers, Fast and Furious, and the Benghazi attack. Now he’s talking about stepping down.

Whomever replaces him must be a fast tracker.

Now we have to take our unpleasant medicine. But we can also plan for the recovery that comes after. You can bet they are. I’m in for it. I think we need to do it.

Well, Ironheads, accepting the situation is Step #5 in the grieving process. On most lists, that is the final step. The Revoista list, however, has a Step #6. That step is “Adapt and Overcome”.

It is time to move on to Step #6.

21. EastBayLarry says:

Jim22 said:
    “I always thought it would go gradually.”

Are you serious? We’ve been getting nibbled to death by ducks for 100 years. It’s been fifty years since the lefties finished their take-over of education.

22. Rich says:

Obama had 10 million fewer votes than in 2008 – this is why the dems were scared shitless – they knew they would not get out the base as they did in 2008. And the did not do so.

Despite this, the repubs got 2-3 million fewer votes than McCain/Palin in 2008.

Now it is clear that juan paublo McCain did not get out the republican base in 2008.

The only reason he did as well as he did was entirely due to Sarah Palin.

But still, it was not a full out repub base vote.

So R/R did not get out even the McCain/Palin base?!?!

Bullshit!

Personally I find that hard to believe … and as such I suspect systemic vote fraud.

Note … not voter fraud, but vote fraud.

After all, how can 40ish precincts outside Philly have not a single Romney vote. Not one. Not even one.

And how is it that in every state with voter ID laws, R/R won? And in every state without voter ID laws obama won?

Nonetheless, whether by crook or hook, the repub base appeared not to come out.

The only reasons I can think of are (1) Mormonism concerns or (2) people are fed up and just will not vote for a moderate repub cantidate regardless of the consequences.

And those assume that the vote totals were not defrauded.

Which I doubt.

So, don’t buy the BS. Take heart. As long as we breathe, we fight!

23. John Hopkins says:

Did it ever occur to anyone that we’re getting exactly what we deserve?! Oh, sure, there are a lot of good people out there, perhaps the vast majority; but the reality is that everyone is too concerned with themselves, their own lives and their own interests, than to worry about “a stupid election.” It’s the Roman Empire and the Weimar Republic all over again. So, for those of us intelligent enough to understand what’s going on, we need to get off our collective butts, and fight harder next time. I have a dozen ways to rip this movement apart.

24. Ironheads82 says:

RD, had the wife invest heavily at Wannemachers gun show in Tulsa this past weekend. Who doesnt love a woman who can buy firearms for you? Step 6 is underway.

25. MissTinaM says:

That is one special wife. lol Ironhead80
    We are living in a society of which 30% of the population WANT Communism. That is what is depressing. 30% did not vote for Obama, 30% did not want Romney, 40% did not care enough. It is the apathy that is disheartening. To read and know all our predecessors went through to build this country and to watch it pulled apart from within could be maddening. The fact is that the country is heading in a Biblical direction, more quickly that I am admittedingly (new word) ready for it to proceed.

26. MissTinaM says:

John Hopkins is correct. Secular Humanism is the religion of choice and it is for that reason we are where we are.

27. Roy Ryder says:

I’d like to think that this is one of those episodes spoken of by TR as where we are “checkered by failure” instead of our more glorious opportunities. Ours is not a race but a marathon. And even if, in the end, we are but a single voice singing in a chorus of fools, it’s better to be the single voice than to be the fool.