The Revo is Five Years Old Today

You know what that means. We are ready for kindergarten.

39 Responses to The Revo is Five Years Old Today

Happy Birthday Revo! I come bearing gift.

Behold, I give you the traditional 5 year gift:

3. BarbaCat says:

Kindergarten, eh? Well, everything I began to learn about what’s going on…I learned here!

Still my home page.

Happy B’Day RR!

4. Buzzdaddy says:

Happy Birthday! I’m looking forward to the next five years. Thanks for everything y’all do.

5. Slaphappypap says:

Happy Birthday Revo! Everyday little buddy. Everyday.

6. TN-Cat says:

Congrats RD. You should be proud.

It also means we have outlived the original Marxist/Leninist Revo by six months. :-)

8. DarthJay says:

Happy Birthday, Revo!!

And, by the way, if we’re in kindergarten – how old does that make the rest of the children in the country? :P

9. Lai says:

Happy Birthday, Revo. =)

10. RUDE JUDE says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! And many more! I started my job at The American Legion National HQ exactly 5 years ago. I think it sort of goes hand in hand in a way. Thanks to all who come here to share.

11. BigJimTX says:

Happy Birthday Revo! Thanks for running the show RD. Thanks also to the cob-loggers and everybody who contributes to the conversation. I find this place to be somewhere I can go to discuss things that interest me with people whose opinion I greatly respect.

12. jacksonsdad says:

That palm has a long life-line. Happy Birthday Revo! Looking forward to many more to come!

13. MadBrad says:

Happy Birthday Real Revo. On the day you were born I had no idea what all you would be capable of in just these five short years. I had no idea that you could bring so many wonderful people into my life. I had no idea that you could help to make me a better person. Sometimes you have been a relentless task master but that was just part of your effort to lift me up, make me stronger and give praise to Almighty God with a voice much bigger than I could have managed to have on my own.

Thank you Revoistas for being part of it.

I love you all more than you could know.

14. BaconNeggs says:

Wow, five years! Hard to believe that five years have flown by already.

Thanks for the great job guys.

15. Burd Dog says:

Happy Birthday, Revoistas! Although I don’t post much, I check in twice daily. I love all the posts. Keep up the good work!

16. oda551 says:

Does this mean that we can now get free lunches since we are in kindergarten?

17. Rockheim says:

And a big hardy congratulations and party hats all around!! I may have stumbled upon your little slice of the interwebs in a mildly confrontational coincidence.. however it is one of my most visited sites every single day.
    I truly do value what you guys do here each and every day. Keep up the excellent work!!!

Happy birthday, RR! I don’t recall how I got here, but I do know that I don’t mumble to myself near as much as 5 years ago.

19. DocO says:

RD,

Is there a narrative history of how the RealRevo came into being, and how the core cob-loggers came together?

As a relative late comer to the site I’d be very interested to know the Story Behind the Music, as long as it didn’t violate anyone’s desire for anonymity.

I don’t think that story has been written but I just asked Uncle MadBrad to gather the children around Uncle Remus style and tell the story. He says he will give it a shot.

21. MadBrad says:

Gather ’round chirrun after you get your beverage of choice and I put some wood on the fire…

22. MadBrad says:

The year was Nineteen and Ninety Nine when I got my first functional home computer. It was one of them fancy E-Machines, no tower with everythang built right into the monitor. The first term I searched the world wide web for was “Barbeque Grille”. I was flabbergasted at all the information that was out there for my eyes to behold. This truly was the beginning of a magical age.

It was in that year that I also became engaged to my second ex-wife. We had a wedding to plan and didn’t want to spend a lot of money but due to my deeply romantic nature, it had to be special. My Cuban friend (survivor of the Revolution who was interviewed by Che Guevara for a position in the Treasury) named Gustavo Madrazo, suggested that I check out the island of Barbados. ALWAYS take romantic advice from a Cuban Gentleman very seriously.

I remember Barbados. We were supposed to land there to rig up for the jump into Grenada, until SHTF and we had to go straight in non-stop.

Barbados is a wonderful place and we eventually decided to elope there. Nine days in an all inclusive resort, wedding and round-trip air fare was just under $1,500.00 and that’s one hell of a deal. Okay, where was I? Ah, yes…

Well I hadn’t seen the island of Grenada since 1983 and wouldn’t you know it? That E-Machines computer could take me there. It was as beautiful as I remember, less the incoming projectiles. I found this little spot on the web called “The Spiceislander Talkshop” and on October 24th 1999 I published a message there of good tidings. I was met with hostility. One comment came from someone with whom I still talk to from time to time that went like this… “Speaking for myself and those who worked to carry out the Revo, it is my supreme wish that you would have left our island in a body bag”.

Tisk, tisk, tisk…

My response was “You had your best shot at me in 1983 but the Peoples Revolutionary Army was comprised of such pussies as yourself that you couldn’t quite get the job done. You were good at shooting your own unarmed citizens but you didn’t have the balls to fuck with me”.

Continued…

23. MadBrad says:

This lead to great conversations and exchanges of information for historical purposes. It wasn’t long before I was finally accepted as the real deal. I got to know several of the participants of the Grenadian Revo through communication on Talkshop.

It really was a great learning experience for me. The last time we fought an English speaking Army was during the War of 1812. Sharing a common language greatly assisted my learning of what happened, who was involved and how everything came to be.

I was then befriended by a citizen of the State of North Carolina, who put herself over as a librarian and historian. Her Father was the curator of the Grenadian Museum of Natural History when she was a little girl. She came to know the Grenadian Revolutionaries when she and they were attending College in Boston together. She was a 1970’s Communist Radical, not the kind and caring historian that she put herself over to be. She picked my brain for information for her website but she DID introduce me (via the net) to an interesting fella we know here as the one and only R.D. Walker.

Continued…

24. MadBrad says:

Soon R.D. and I were communicating with each other regularly as we maintained interlocking fields of fire on the Spiceislander Talkshop. It was there that we could debate history as well as the virtues of Capitalism -vs-Communism. Then came the day in November of 2002 when I had the opportunity to meet RD face-to-face in Orlando, Florida. It was a great moment in History.

RD seemed a little shocked that I was white. He had been subjected to much racism on Talkshop and yet, for some reason I wasn’t. Everyone there assumed I was black. I speak the lingo and their own racism caused them to automatically assume that I was black. I never said anything either way. I thought it was great to be able to participate in the “secret conversations” of black Communists. Fearing that I would be outed by RD, I made a shocking reveal… me, dancing topless for a crowd of women on a boat in Key West.

I believe that we have that photo in our archives here. Give me a minute and I’ll find it and get right back to the story…

You can find that photo at the link that follows… http://therealrevo.com/blog/?p=10796

25. MadBrad says:

It was April of 2003 when I moved to the Atlanta area. This gave me the opportunity to travel a relatively short distance to Asheville, North Carolina to meet the Communist loving Librarian/Historian. We exchanged some historical information. I was able to provide her video copies of the 1987 PBS Frontline documentary “Operation Urgent Fury” as well as an episode covering the same topic on “The Eagle & the Bear” from A&E. She had an old copy of Time Magazine that featured a photo of me and my Company, the day before we left Grenada, as well as a copy of Newsweek and told me how I could order my own copies so I could make my Mama proud. She also gave me a copy of “Big Sky, little Bullet” by deceased Grenadian Author Maurice Paterson. It is a “Docu-Novel” of the Grenadian Revolution.

It was during my stay in the Atlanta area that I had the opportunity to join RD and his family at the graduation of his Son from Infantry Basic Training at Ft. Benning. I was honored to be his tour guide as we traversed the Harmony Church area of the post, found the place my barracks once stood (then with a sign that reads “Planted Forrest”) and make unauthorized entry into the Ranger School area to take photos of a Soviet BTR-60 that was captured in Grenada. It was easy. All we had to do was ignore the sign that said “No unauthorized vehicles or personnel beyond this point”. Mrs. RD didn’t think it was smart to ignore the warning but what does SHE know?

It was a Month later when I was given the great honor of attending his Son’s graduation from Airborne School and pinning his wings on him in RD’s absence. It was the Wednesday before Thanksgiving 2003. I got the extra special treat of ferrying him and some of his friends to Atlanta to spend the night in my apartment so they could get up early the next morning and catch their flights home to their families. It just doesn’t get any better than that. Just thinking about that time brings a smile to my face.

Continued…

26. jacksonsdad says:

You know that old saying about a picture speaking a thousand words? Sometimes they speak more than a thousand.

I seem to remember that pic showing up on a other thread too… along with the word ‘mesmerized’ or ‘entranced’ or something to that effect. If I was a betting man I’d say the word MOJO made it in there too ;o)

27. MadBrad says:

The years rolled on…

RD and I continued to do battle with Communists on the internet down at the Spiceislander Talkshop. RD was in Guam when I had a spell with anxiety following my return to Ft. Benning after photographing a Pro Wrestling event in Columbus, Georgia. I got to see newly graduated Infantrymen spending their money on an engagement ring before heading to their duty station and going off to Iraq and Afghanistan. I was wearing a hat my Uncle gave me that was embroidered with the HMX-1 logo and this broke the ice for conversation with some field grade officers over what was going on overseas and special attention was given to how they were being stabbed in the back by the media. I had already been running on sleep deprivation and the conversations I had put me over the top. I went 8 days without sleeping as I lashed out on the internet at anyone and everyone who I felt was responsible and needed some threatening e-mail, including Mr. Ahmadinejad. I eventually ended up as John Doe #6 in the Duval County Jail.

It was during my manic internet activity that I put together a slide show set to music, that included a photo of the Wheldale Estate, where Prime Minister Maurice Bishop of Grenada once lived. This was a photo that the Communist Librarian/Historian shared with me. She took offense and made me remove the slide show from the net, with various threats included.

RD took note and responded in kind.

Then came October of 2007 and I began publishing clips from the PBS Frontline Documentary “Operation Urgent Fury” to YouTube and sharing them with the crowd at the Spiceislander Talkshop. As you know, Frontline doesn’t do anything from a conservative point of view and you wouldn’t think that anything I published would be offensive to the gaggle of Communists on Talkshop.

The Communist Librarian/Historian decided to screw with me some more. I was reported to her friends at WGBH in Boston and they contacted YouTube to have my video clips removed. They also threatened me with legal action. WOW, I thought that PBS was publicly funded and as a participant in the history described, there would be no problem. Shouldn’t a historian be on the side of sharing History, especially when it is presented with a Communist slant? No, I was targeted as part of a personal vendetta.

RD was especially pissed off about this, so we had a talk. We decided that we shouldn’t be wasting our time on a website loaded with Communists and Communist lovers. It was a waste of time and energy, regardless of the entertainment we got from slapping those punks around. We decided that we could build something that would be bigger and more useful than the Spiceislander Talkshop and “The Grenada Revolution Online”. We decided that to spite those assholes, we would take their beloved term “Revo”, polish up real nice… polish, polish, polish and shove it up their candy asses sideways. Hence the name “The REAL Revo”.

I should also point out that it was during this timeframe that we got to know WHMan. He is originally from Grenada, immigrated to the U.S. in 1967 and by 1968 was killing Communists in Vietnam. He went to school with the guys who started all the shit in Grenada. He retired from the Department of Defense after making many weapons that have helped to kill our enemies and he is FAR more manly and conservative that RD and I. He was also in on the birth of the Real Revo and as soon as I can put some gas in my tank I’m going down to Lake Asbury to catch up with him.

So now you know how all this got started. It’s a twisted tale with roots in the Cold War. We could not let our knowledge and experience go to waste. We are still fighting the same enemy who has never changed its objective of destroying the United States. We cannot change our objective of defending it in any way we can, with whatever tools God allows us to have. Anything less would be a dereliction of duty and disobedience to our Almighty Commander.

Brad,

It looks like you are feeling better. Haven’t seen you this active for a long time.

Good to see you back. Hope the upsurge holds.

29. MadBrad says:

Jim, I’m hanging in, hanging out and hanging on. I’ve been dealt some serious blows here lately and have been scrambling to keep it together here. I apologize for my absence.

This bit of story telling has been helpful to me. It makes me think of better days. I will do my best to keep up. I’m down but not out. God has better plans for me than I can imagine, of this I am certain. Every day is a challenge for me right now but I’m working to overcome them.

Of course the cadre of cob-loggers showed up as commentators and made the site their own. They and the other faithful commentators really get the lion’s share of credit for making this a community.

In any case, Brad is right. The Real Revo has its roots deep in the Cold War and the fight against Communism. It is, in fact, mere coincidence that the Real Revo was born about the same time as the presidential campaign of the crypto-Marxist now occupying the White House.

31. MadBrad says:

This is true. RD and I would have called it quits a LONG time ago if we didn’t have active participation from those who make commentary here and those who decided to take on the task of coblogger.

The Real Revo would have come and gone without making any impact whatsoever if we didn’t have a LOT of help.

32. MadBrad says:

You know what I think we need right now? I think we need some music. Here’s a little durty ditty from one of the original members of Three Dog Night that I think you will enjoy, ESPECIALLY if your name is BMan…

Captain Happy Pants Theme Song

(I picked up this CD on the Key West trip when I became a PAID topless dancer… paid by women who loved it and men who dared me to do it.)

33. Rich says:

Thank you RD madbrad, nota and many others.

You speak with eloquence and experience, that I do not have but which I know to be true, that reflects the fullness of my heart.

Though I will likely never know any of you in person (sadly) all of you are my friends.

If we all were in a SHTF situation, I would trust you as I would trust my brother, and I think we would kick ass.

Anyway, congrats on the big 5,

And, God Bless,

Rich

“We decided that to spite those assholes, we would take their beloved term “Revo”, polish up real nice… polish, polish, polish and shove it up their candy asses sideways. Hence the name “The REAL Revo”.”

Yep. By God we own it now! LOL!

35. MadBrad says:

It would really upset me if any of our readers went to The Grenada Revolution Online or the Spiceislander Talkshop and started spamming the hell out of them with Anti-Communist messages.

That would just break my heart in two.

They just love our President so much that it might cause them to have a kiniption or two.

36. DocO says:

Thanks MadBrad, as always you spin a fine yarn in your own distinctive and insouciant voice. You sir, are a master raconteur. Well told, well told.

BTW: I only know the word “insouciant” because somebody used it to describe Frank Sinatra’s singing style. I didn’t know what it meant so I looked it up. It seems appropriate for this crowd.

in·sou·ci·ant (n-ss-nt, s-syä)
    adj.
    Marked by blithe unconcern; nonchalant.

I just liked these knuckleheads and what they had to say… and I grew up fifgting the russians. Then the hajjis who want the same ship. Central government.

None for me thanks. Happy birthday Real Revo!

From deercamp…

I always thought that MadBrad and RD knew each other from the Army. They were penpals before they became friends. Interesting.