Survival Tips: Guns, Ammo, Reloading, Conversions, Etc

The comments section of this post will be kept in the Survival Tips section of The Real Revo as a resource for anyone who wants to pick it up and have a whack at it. I will try to move interesting/related comments to this post in the future so that it keeps expanding as a resource.

Have fun, Ladies & Gentlemen:

19 Responses to Survival Tips: Guns, Ammo, Reloading, Conversions, Etc

1. Moved From Off Topic says:
    1. BigJimTX :

Date: November 22, 2012 ·

Ok so you guys are killing me with paying $.60+ per round for .223. PMC X-Tac can be found for $.40 per round for fmjbt. Prvi Partizan is west bloc surplus. Both are Good ammo. Check ammoman dot com, palmettostatearmory dot com. I like PSA. It has great deals. They also have gen 2 pmags with window for $15.15. I buy from them often.

2. R.D. Walker :

Date: November 22, 2012 ·

I just paid $0.42 per round, including shipping for brass cased, .223, 55gr FMJ at http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/

It was a 1,500 round lot.

3. Uke :

Date: November 22, 2012 ·

Awesome RD. I’m in the market for another couple thousand rounds of 5.56. Also seriously considering a reloading startup.

***

Pats over Jets, 28-0 with 9 min left in the first half. Fucking beautiful.

Jets offensive lineman’s ass credited with one sack on his own quarterback. Impressive. ^_^

4. BigJimTX :

Date: November 22, 2012 ·

Reloading setups:

I have been looking at getting into reloading. I also shoot competition pistol (USPSA).

My friends that reload use mostly the Dillon presses. They have a “NO BS Warranty”.

I am looking at putting together as much of this as possible when I actually have money again.

If you are looking at getting into reloading, http://www.brianenos.com has a great resource. He pushes Dillon products (he is sponsored by them) but there are volumes of information available on the forum there that discuss reloading questions and suggestions.

I like ammotogo too. I used to get my 37mm stuff from them. I stopped playing with my “flare gun” a while back though.

5. R.D. Walker :

Date: November 22, 2012 ·

Anyone have any experience with a .22LR conversion kit for an AR-15?

6. RJM :

Date: November 22, 2012 ·

Check out ammoseek.com

It is a ammo search engine.

7. RJM :

Date: November 22, 2012 ·

If you are thinking about reloading check out handloads.com

It has a load data database and you can search by caliber, powder and bullet weight.

8. Uke :

Date: November 22, 2012 ·

At the risk of sounding uber-prepper, I was also brainstorming with my godfather about reloading in a SHTF scenario.

Where the shit do we get lead? Or *primers* FFS? I mean, we’re all trained in bladed weapons and bows, but… Maintaining *firearms*?? I’d like not to resort to goddamn muskets if at all possible.

Before I go spelunking, anyone know about this SHTF-ammo scenario?

9. RJM :

Date: November 22, 2012 ·

The people that network are stockpiling everything they can.

Wal-Mart has 7.62 x 39 for 4.97 for 20 rounds. Guys are buying 200-400 rounds and coming back in few days for more. .223 is same price.

I reload so I have setback extra powder. I will buy casings primers and projectiles and load my own.

I probably have 8k rounds in 5.56 x 62 grain, bought it at wal-mart. It is federal with Lake City brass. If you watch sales I’ve purchased at .33 cents

10. sortahwitte :

Date: November 22, 2012 ·

I just looked on cheaper..,ammoman, and ammunition to go. What is the deal with .223/5.56 tracer ammo? Are we getting to the bottom of the barrel? I can’t think of any shtf scenario where I would want to send tracers downrange. Tamping down muzzle flash is bad enough. Are they using it as range ammo? If I’m missing something, please note it.

RD – I would recommend just spending the money on a solid platform that’s designed for the 22 round.

You can buy these at walmart. Someone posted a link a few weeks back for a site that had all 22 rifles (dozens of manufacturers/models/platforms) on the cheap. For slightly more than a conversion kit, you can get the whole rifle.

Great selection and price ranges. I got my GSG-522 on sale at half-off. Normal was $500. Most places sell em for 350-ish these days. Mine came with two 22 round magazines, a single point sling, and the rifle.

Uke – I only have a few thousand rounds of my various calibers. After that, I guess I’ve killed enough targets to replenish my stock somewhat. Either way, eventually, you’ll have to adapt to different weaponry – if you survive that long.

RD – Mossberg 715 starts at $225. This one is only
    $275 w/red-dot optics.

For those of you who, like me, have always been intimidated by reloading your spent brass, this is a no bullshit video.

He doesn’t say a word. He just shows the viewer, step-by-step, what needs doing.

It doesn’t seem nearly as intimidating to me, now. I love tedious work. I think I just found a new hobby (when I get making money again).

5. BigJimTX says:

Uke – Lead is available from tire shops. They use them as balance weights. Every time they balance a tire, they are supposed to replace the lead weights so that the customer sees new weights on their wheel. Some shops will give it to you, others will sell it to you, but it is cheaper than buying fishing weights.

I have also looked into casting. The idea is to gather as much lead as possible now, melt it down and alloy it to the desired hardness and pour into ingot molds. This way you have a compact stockpile of lead and it is GTG for whenever you need it.

MidwayUSA has all the tools for casting and lead testing:

YouTube video on Casting from Tire Wheel Weights:

6. Greg B says:

One thought I had, mostly for the shelter in place scenario. Might not be a bad idea to keep spare parts on hand.
    Small parts I mean, like trigger groups, springs, pins. Perhaps a small assortment of screws, you know those sometimes weird thread sizes that it seems more than a few firearms use.

Nice transition to some Plan B stuff, by the way.

7. BigJimTX says:

BTW, I love the RevoRifle. Good job on that one.

8. Greg B says:

A while back I ran across a discussion over at the AR15 forum where someone was building a 22 AR using a printed lower.
    Interesting concept, but when you can buy a forged 80% lower for under $100 I have to ask why?

9. slinger says:

Ammo: I recently ordered 62 grain 5.56 from freedom munitions … today it’s 34 cents per round, but I think I paid less than that. You can buy new or reman, and they also have a brass credit program to pay for new ammo with brass. I ordered reman, and the stuff looks pretty clean.

Reloading: I plan to get a lee classic loader kit in 30-06. The kit is around $30 … complete. I will be shooting the reloads through a bolt-action, so I don’t need to do hundreds of rounds at a time. I’ve heard that you can actually reload more accurately with this type of manual loader, and competition shooters often use them.

Conversion kit: I really want a CMMG kit. One benefit is being able to use the exact same setup for 22lr and 5.56. For instance, I have $800 in optics on my AR. For training, I could train with low-cost 22lr while using the exact same setup as I would use for 5.56. Another thought is the benefit for bug out. Carrying one rifle plus conversion kit is a lot easier than carrying two rifles. Then you have 22lr for game and 5.56 for defense.

SHTF supply: primers and powder is a weak link to reloading. Both are next to impossible to manufacture (we’re not talking black powder here), so you would need a good supply pre-SHTF. I have recently found a renewed interest in archery. I plan to buy a bow and get some training soon.

10. slinger says:

Additional benefit to archery … no noise to draw attention to your position. Zombies follow noise don’cha know?

Yeah, I already have four .22 rifles and one pistol. I just thought you could do a lot of preliminary training on the big rifle with less expensive .22 ammo. For example, suppose ammo gets very, very expensive or even hard to get. Are you going to shoot up your precious stock of .223 to keep practiced or train the kid? A guy could lay on a supply of 100,000 rounds of .22 if he wanted to. In a survival situation, you could still at least get some level of training with the go-to rifle without using up what would be as valuable as gold. In a world where every single .223 round is precious, you would’t want to cut paper with them.

I just don’t know if the conversions are worth a damn.

12. rj says:

Just dug out the dillon progressive and am getting ready to resupply bullets, primers, powder. prices are through the roof.

If nothing else I plan on on using reloads or componets as trade goods in the future.

We’re not the only ones out here talking about stocking up.

A couple years ago people looked at you lik you were nuts talking about prepping, now days ya only get those loks from libs ans others with their head up their ass.

13. slinger says:

RD, I agree. I’ve heard that the CMMG kits are excellent. They are not cheap, but CMMG put a great deal of research and development into their product. They are continually improving it. I’ve been holding out for the integrated metal forward assist (instead of the removable plastic forward assist), but I will certainly go CMMG when I do get a kit. FWIW my upper is CMMG, and I am very satisfied with it.

The negatives I have heard is that the 22lr really gets the rifle dirty. The suggestion is to clean thoroughly before converting back to 5.56. The gas system can get especially fouled up. Some people put a switch to stop up the gas port to alleviate some of the fouling.

Also, the 5.56 rifling is not ideal for 22lr, so the 22lr will not be a tack driver.

I have been reloading ammunition for forty years. Started with Lee loaders – where you hammer the brass into the dies. Got a Dillon for a while. Now I’m back to a single-stage press – a Lee. They are cheap and make good ammunition.

I like Wideners for components.

Buy primers by the thousand and powder by the four or eight pound caddy. Cast bullets are fine for pistol cartridges but not for anything over 1500-2000 fps. The wheel balancing weights mentioned above are one of the best sources of lead for casting bullets. They are a hard alloy, not just pure lead.

Getting into bullet casting is as expensive as getting into reloading. You will need moulds, mould handles, casting furnace, bullet sizer, sizing dies, nose punches for the sizer, lube, and a well-ventilated place to work. I gave it up.

The Dillon is a good rig but, like all progressive presses, it works best with straight-walled cases – like pistol cases. The reason is lubing the cases. The only cases that don’t need to be lubed are those because you can get carbide loading dies for them. They have a hardened ring in the sizing die that irons the case walls down to the right diameter. Bottle-neck cases don’t work well without lubrication. That slows down and gums up reloading on progressive loaders.

15. Ray Davies says:

You can get everything you need from MidwayUSA or Brownelles.com I’ve been using a LEE 1000 progressive press for everything but the long rifle rounds. So far it has lasted about 20 years with no problems. You can get everything for one caliber for less than $200. Buy bulk powder, primers and bullets.

16. KJ says:

This is a Lee reloading kit sold by Kempf Gun Shop. Kempf is the only place that sells the kit this way. They include things you need, and discard the things you don’t need that come with other kits. It is highly recommended on numerous reloading forums for people that don’t want to spend the money for a Dillon, or need the speed that the Dillon can do.

Also, all the websites listed so far are very good ones. I’d like to add the reloading forum on GlockTalk.com to the list, a lot of very good info there.

For the ultimate do-it-yourselfer…

Turn a shovel into an Kalashnikov.