GOP Rolls over and Shows Tummy

They are going to agree to raise taxes.

More congressional Republicans are breaking a long-standing pledge to oppose tax increases before returning to Washington on Monday to avert a looming fiscal crisis with a deal that increasingly appears impossible to reach without changes to the tax code.

The decades-old pledge from the Americans for Tax Reform group has been signed by 238 House members and 41 senators in this Congress and has essentially become inescapable for any Republican seeking statewide or national office over recent election cycles, especially in the Republican-controlled lower chamber.

New York Rep. Peter King and Sen. Lindsey Graham said Sunday they would break the pledge and accept tax changes to generate more revenue to curb the trillion-dollar federal deficit.

I have two reactions…

1) Damn. Do pledges mean nothing to politicians?

and…

2) This is exactly what they are going to have to do. Taxes are going up in January. They will do it in a controlled way or they will do it in an uncontrolled way. If you are Republican member of Congress, you can vote for an increase on high earners giving Obama what he has asked for or you can go over the cliff and see a tax increase on everyone.

The former will be owned by Obama. The latter will be far worse and owned by Republicans.

The bottom line, the GOP is checked. Their only move remaining is a forced move. Elections have consequences.

11 Responses to GOP Rolls over and Shows Tummy

1. rj says:

Of course they are gonna roll over, they continue to let the dems control the narrative. The dems always do, when they are in power/controll of the establishment they do what they want and holler about pubs obstructing if they dont get what they want. When pubs have majority thy scream about the need for bipartinship and scream if pubs want to enact any restraint. That is why we are screwed no matter who controls which branch.

I fucking hate federal taxes, I also hate class warfare which is exactly what the “tax the rich” is all about.

What I’d like to see is the Bush cuts expire for one and all, let every jackass who voted to keep the dems or who stayed home feel exactly what the loss will cost them, their neighbors, and their dog along with the economic downward spire which will also affect the fucking lib assholes who donate to keeb the dems in power.

I’m not rich or all that smart, but you can bet if they get a tax raise this year for the”rich” then next year they will redefine the rich to include the next lower brackets.

It makes me sick that they played like chumps. The dems knew the pubs would never allow the sequestrations to go into effect and they would get their “rich” tax to avoid it.

I say let the natural course take effect or they will never cut a fricking thing from the guts of the monster budget.

Even if they get their “rich” tax increases and avoid the rest of the expirations

2. rj says:

They are not concerned about the low oil pressure light they will keep the engine shuddering along and the wheels churning until the oil is gone, the valves are burnt, the rings are shot and the crank is warped and the block is cracked and it throws a piston rod through the block. Ya can fix a lot but ya can’t fix that, which is exactly what they want, the total destruction of the american economic engine and the end of america.

The cold hearted bastards are just as bad as any historical dictator. starve a few million, shoot a few million, kill millions before birth, turn em against each other and let them kill each other, I fucking hate em.

rant over

3. Matt says:

I agree the Republicans don’t have much choice here, and an increase in taxes on the so-called “rich” is the lesser of all evils, considering the fact that they don’t control the narrative (and to that end, I don’t fully agree with RD that Obama will own this–I think the media will insure that Republicans own any choice that ends badly), BUT . . . I’ve never liked the Norquist pledge. Leviathan is too big, and we should not continue to feed it, ergo I do not support an increase in taxes on ANY bracket. But I also don’t support the idea of pressuring an elected representative, who has already pledged loyalty to the Constitution, to also pledge fealty to an unelected activist like Norquist, no matter how noble his cause.

I think a man should stick to his word when he gives it. This isn’t a case of growing and changing your mind as you get older and wiser. This is specifically giving your word that you will not do something – then doing it anyway.

Obama and the dems will not own this. They will blame it on republicans.

5. Matt says:

nota, I agree that a man should stick to his word . . . I just think it was ill-advised for them to ever sign the pledge in the first place. Their only pledges should have been the oath of office and their vow to their constituents to always represent their best interests, plus whatever promises they made on the campaign trail.

As for Obama and dems not owning this, I couldn’t agree more. If >50% of the nation is, against all evidence, STILL blaming the poor economy on GWB, they’ll find a way to tie this to the republicans, too.

6. Tatersalad says:

Tell all of us something that the rest of America doesn’t already know. Democrats are politically clueless and don’t know anything about government, spending and debt. Spoken by one of their own and they can not deny this one. Liberals will continue to argue with the other party on the internet and TV shows but their cluelessness is ever present in their talking points. When they start to lose the argument, they will resort to name calling, personal attacks and slander. That is the liberal way.

Seriously. Trying to get a serious discussion about economics out of Obama or Democrats in general is like trying to get a serious discussion from the captain of your high school pom-pom squad by saying “My Mustang has a 393 cu/in stroker combination with slightly longer 3.850″ stroke. While it offers more displacement and low-end torque I am not sure if I’d get better overall performance from a low or high compression ratio. What do you think?”

You get about the same quality discussion in either case.

It’s like asking a first century Christian what they think of the Protestant Reformation. It’s beyond the scope of their intellect. They have no frame of reference, and absolutely no understanding of the subject matter.

It’s like asking a liberal to explain, well….anything. :-)

You have to have at least a rudimentary understanding of human nature to understand economics.

Absolutely right, RD. I’m no scholar on the subject, but I can read.

The most critical underpinning of economics, for me, is the understanding of human nature in relation to incentives.

“The former will be owned by Obama.”

Nah… He will make hay that the GOP caved and he got what he wanted. Neither option bodes well for Republicans.

The script has already been written and distributed to Democrats and the media.