Preppers Vindicated: Part 4

The following set of Real Revo posts are fictional. None of this happened.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

May 10th, 0535: Damn, now we have a new crisis. I let the damned dog out to do his thing this morning and when I looked for him, he was out on the road and, in the darkness, I saw somebody on the road scratching him behind the ears and patting him on his haunches. I have no idea if this guy is a carrier! Who the hell is he, anyway? I called the dog back and, before he got to the door, I slammed it shut. I realized that now I can’t let him back in. How do you disinfect a dog without getting infected yourself? I don’t even know if dogs can be carriers. The kids are sleeping but there will be crying over this when they wake up.

You know, I planned to roll the generator out and fire it up for a while. It occurs to me now that When I do that, the dog will be all over me. Hell, he will be all over me whenever I go out. I can’t let that happen. If he is a carrier…

I am going to have to shoot my dog. Crap. Things just keep getting better.

May 10th, 0625:Well, I did it. I took the bolt action .22 my dad gave me when I was a kid, went upstairs to the bathroom, opened the window and climbed out on the roof and waited. After a while my good ol’ bird dog came sniffing along the fence line between some shrubs. When he got to a point that couldn’t be seen from most of the house, I whistled a little. When he lifted his head, I put a single shot in it. He dropped without a struggle. I had to leave him lay. There is nothing else I can do. It is a tough morning for the kids. It’s hard on me too. I loved that dog.

May 10th, 0914: This whole thing is surreal. I fired up the generator, plugged in my modem and router and my DSL works. I guess I knew thay had UPS and generators at the central office, but it still seems strange that I can get on the Internet. It is pretty damned squirrely, however. There is a lot of latency and some parts of the ‘net are down.

I am not going to recount the world news. If you can get to this site, you can get to the news. It is pretty much everywhere now all over the world. Obviously there are quarantined outposts around the world, but it spreads at lightning speed. Some people who got it three days ago and didn’t die are recovering. It seems it plays out as fast as it spreads. I hope the mother fuckers who did this watch their children die. Somebody, somewhere needs to be nuked. The technology associated with weaponizing influenza… It had to be Iranians or Pakistanis.

An announcement on the radio now has me given to understand that some people are immune… maybe eight or ten percent. So far they don’t know how long after you have been exposed you remain contagious. It might be as long as two weeks. That means we may be inside for six weeks before it is safe to go out. It is killing about 10 to 15 percent immediately. There are scenes of horror on the ‘net. Literally piles of corpses.

This is going to have a devastating impact on the economy. Best case scenario is a long, hard recession. When this is over, the hard times are just getting started. Prepare yourselves.

I let the freezer get cold, ran the well pump and charged the pressure tank. I am going to shut the generator down now.

May 10th, 1111: I saw National Guard humvees on the highway. The troops were in gas masks and MOPP gear. They were headed towards town. I wonder what is going on.

The kids are already going stir crazy. No videos and no video games. They don’t know how to act. When this is all over, my son and I agree they are going to be spending less time looking at screens. It occurs to me that nobody in the house smokes. I bet some people are going to quit this month.

My cell phone still works but I can’t get mom and dad to answer. It goes straight to voice mail. I bet their batteries are dead. At least I hope that is what it is.

May 10th, 1721: I have seen three or four cars on the highway today. Nobody on foot since this morning. I still haven’t heard from mom and dad.

I heard on the radio that the National Guard is leaving boxes of MREs in various locations for people to come out and collect. I don’t know how that will work without spreading the infection. I want no part of it. A lot of people are going to he heading out and a lot more will get sick and die.

There is evidence that the spread of the sickness has slowed. Hundreds of millions have been exposed but it seems to have maxed out. Many are very sick as I type this. Others are either locked down as we are or are asymptomatic carriers. They are the people who worry me. They probably don’t even know that they are carriers.

May 10th, 2232: The siren at the volunteer fire department in town has been wailing for about twenty minutes. What the hell does that mean?

Coming Up: Part 5

23 Responses to Preppers Vindicated: Part 4

This series is the perfect mix of creepy-as-fluke and greatly entertaining. I hope you’re enjoying writing it as much as we are enjoying reading it.

I’m digging this journal. Good stuff RD.

I just wish the guy didn’t shoot his dog so soon. Now the kids will have to watch it getting eaten by other animals, especialy crows. Oh no! A potential spreader of the virus? Dried bird shit is bad news when it turns to dust and travels in the wind.

RD,

You have a good thing going here. An awful lot of people will want to read this. I wonder if it would be possible to create a section of the Revo where all chapters are easily found in chronological order.

I have some friends who would enjoy reading it. Perhaps ‘enjoy’ is not the right word.

• R.D. Walker says:

I will pull it together on a single page as I go. I want to keep it serialized too, however. I was hoping each post would elicit commentary and tips based on the challenges faced. I fact, that was really my point when I started it.

4. fubar says:

viruses are also spread by insects, especially mosquitoes

Nothing wrong with enjoying good fiction, Jim!

I enjoyed the Union Creek Journal and absolutely loved ‘Adrian’s Undead Diary’!

6. RJM says:

I don’t think I would shoot my dog.

I would have risked trying to decontaminate him.

Dogs are an important part of your family, for me it would be like shooting one of the kids. This for me, would not rise to a death sentence. I would take the risk.

I also see your dog as a important part of your survival program.

Depending on who the neighbor is, they may be more risk than the dog.

• R.D. Walker says:

Well the protagonist didn’t even know if the dog was a carrier. That means it would be impossible to decontaminate the dog because the dog has the virus its lungs and saliva. I appreciate the love for dogs, but I wouldn’t risk the lives of my wife and all my children to save one.

I tell my 6 lb Yorkie, Sam, every-single day, that one day I will eat him. Not really relevant, but I still think it’s funny.

I have no illusions about the nature of our relationship. Dogs are pets. We’re friendly. I like him. He likes me. If he ever turns on me or becomes a threat to my family, I will put him down like the dog he is.

8. Rockheim says:

I’ll have to check with the wife who’s the RN but I don’t think that animals can be “fluid” carriers if they can’t be infected themselves.. blood, urine, feces.. And I don’t think the Flu works that way anyhow.
    From the premise of the story it would be all contact carry. So you could disinfect the dog.. but you’d have to suit yourself up first.. Clean and disinfect.. then burn the suit.
    But.. the protagonist may not know that.. And he would choose to err on the side of caution.
    I would personally think that there’s too much value in a good dog to simply give up on it though. Feed and water it through the door. Alternate front and back so as to not let him in. Try to get it confined to a yard.. Watch it like a hawk when it’s out.. After 2-4 days any surface virus should be dead.
    The thing about the virus in the story is that it isn’t airborne. Simple contact precautions, handwashing.. obsessive handwashing.. facemasks, hats, glasses.. A pathological concern with NOT touching your face (the most difficult part) and you can get by with no real problems.
    Nurses and Doctors do it all the time. Patients in hospitals with contact precautions.. as long as their illness isn’t airborne you can protect yourself almost completely.
    Also.. Only allow one person to be exposed to outside threats. Only one person.. in and out. You can limit total exposure that way.

• R.D. Walker says:

Good feedback, but as you said, the protagonist wouldn’t know that. Furthermore, this is a weaponized virus. Nobody knows for sure what its capabilities are. One lick from the dog could have been deadly, for all the knew. Under the circumstances, I thought the only solution was to put the dog down. I know I wouldn’t have risked it.

As I said before RD, I’m really digging this journal. I have read a lot of these genre scenarios online, but yours moves along so nice, smooth and quick. I like that.

I have a suggestion- perhaps after you finish this one, you can do another journal, except this time from the point of view from someone who isn’t prepared for any type of emergency. Make the protagonist an American Idol and Honey Boo Boo type watcher, who is clueless about most everything. Kind of like that guy from those Gander Mountain commercials.

Not telling you what to do, just think it would be an interesting point of view and have yet to see a journal from that view.

10. xenicalman says:

Bman:
    I’ll second that.

RD/Bman – If you don’t mind, I’d like to take a whack at that scenario… RD if you’re interested, feel free to say so. I promise it won’t hurt my feelings. :-)

Nah, go ahead. If you use my bio-attack scenario, however, it will be pretty short. Dead within 24 hours. :-)

Why don’t you start working on it now and post it when mine is complete in a week or two. That way we won’t have them both running at the same time.

Yeah, I’ll wait til yours is completely finished.

I have some pretty good insight into the mind of the retard… and hopefully some good ideas.

Not sure what that says about me, actually.

I’m using a financial collapse, by the way.

“I have some pretty good insight into the mind of the retard…”

Thats exactly what im talking about! I want a character that pisses me off, but gradually changes for the better throughout the journal.

15. fubar says:

I think the dog scenario was a great plot point. Most people treat their pets like one of the family. Also brings up the point that, in this scenario, you should stay in the house, not only stay away from other people, but try to avoid insects too – insects are generally carriers- (close off windows, doors stock up on duct tape, extra screening )

also, if there is a possibility of animals being infected, that throws the “i can hunt when i run out of meat” prospect.

Animal to human transmission of influenza is not uncommon. Bird flu. Swine flu. Insects are not known to be a vector for influenza so I am going to not worry about them in the story.

You do, however, make a good point. Insects could be a disease vector and they could be used in a bio-attack.

17. slinger says:

I would be interested to see the story from an “average joe” perspective. Someone who is not “prepared” but with average intelligence and average supplies. Maybe average joe doesn’t have stored water, but he is smart enough to fill the bath tubs when the news starts, etc.

18. RJM says:

Properly trained dogs are great safety alarms,protection for the babies, good for hunting and like several societies emergency ration of food in the most desparate situations?

Imagine if the protagonist in earlier preparations had bleach for a disinfectant, steril rubber gloves, several sets of the ty-vek coveralls and hospital style safety masks?

Imagine the additional story line about waiting to determine if the dog was actually infected?

I’m just saying….

19. RJM says:

In RD’s story line the dead man’s best friend is lying 25′ from the house and is decaying and is now a breeding ground for maggots and other infestations.

• R.D. Walker says:

I meant to write that he got a shovel and covered the dog but I forgot. Since it is all in my head anyway….. there! He just covered the dog with dirt.