Not A Good Shooting

First the store clerk should not have opened the door after hours. Second his life was not in jeopardy. He got slugged in the face but not threatened with deadly force. He should have kept the door closed.

It happened in Texas, though, and the police called it justified. KHOU, Houston.

14 Responses to Not A Good Shooting

I can’t see myself opening a locked door between myself and an angry animal.

2. RJ says:

ya got that right…some times you have to take your pride out of these type situations aint nothing wrong with tactical retreat under some circumstances… or in this case ignore him and call for police unless he breaks the glass and comes in.

Yeah, the clerk screwed up multiple times.

Better judgement would have prevented such an occurrence from ever taking place.

I wouldn’t have opened the door. I wouldn’t have engaged in the yelling match. I don’t go in for the false bravado of nosing-together and acting tough.

Thus, the subject wouldn’t have gotten the chance to hit me. I wouldn’t have shot him, and I would still have a job.

All of that said, that mindless animal will definitely think twice before acting-the-donkey on someone again (after he gets out of the hospital).

Ultimately, there is blame enough for both, with regard to the escalation – but, the animal’s actions did set the entire chain of events into motion.

4. Tony says:

I can identify the bad guy in this video. He is the man who throw the punch.

The clerk has the the right to move about freely without threat of bodily harm. He could not hide behind that door forever. I was raised in nasty, violent inner city neighborhoods were calling for a policeman does nothing to prevent the attack a man will sooner or later have to face. The arrival of the police only delay it. The police are called and the antagonist leaves only to return once the police leave. Maybe not immediately but he will confront again. The cycle goes on and on and on. The police will not babysit a man with a complaint. They cannot be there all the time. The man who fucked up here is the man who threw the punch. Period. If he did not want his ass shot he should have refrained from physically assaulting another human. If his daddy did not want to see him shot he should have provided effective counsel during Calloway’s up bringing. I bet my ass Calloway has a history of violence. I bet the clerk did the neighborhood a fuckin, service.

I will not draw my weapon on a man for following behind me or running his mouth at me. I will use all legal means to stop a man who puts his hands on me with intent to do me harm. If he insist on getting shot so be it.

Good for Texas for calling it self defense.

5. Tony says:

I think this is maybe a video of the same clerk when he was previously shot in the leg. I do not know how to embed the link properly so I am going to paste it in. Maybe some one can do a better job with it.

6. Tony says:

I just verified the addresses of the businesses in both vids as the 800 block of MLK . The vid at location http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xT-xw-GcAo is surely the same store and same clerk.

7. Tony says:

OK all you Revoist who express the “the fighting spirit” I read so much about here. The clerk picks the time of his fight. He picks the place of his fight. Just as all the great generals you propose to emulate. What do I hear out of the great Revo? Silence?No not silence. but a qualifying string of reasons for why the clerk was also wrong. Why attack the victim? A little discussion here please.

Tony – I’m a fighter. I have the scars and broken teeth (& nose) to prove it.

If I get to choose between a friend who can walk into the bar with me and clean the place out – or the friend who has the good sense to know that this particular bar is not a good idea. I choose the friend with a brain.

Wreckless bravado is great when you’re 20 years old and sucking shit in the desert. Not so much when you grow up.

I have been in alot of stupid, senseless fights for no other reason than my ego was bruised or I felt like I had something to prove.

I don’t.

I don’t want to shoot someone. I will if I must, but I don’t particularly like the idea, because I’m not a fucking animal.

The clerk picks the time of his fight. He picks the place of his fight.

He may have picked the time and place of his fight. That doesn’t mean that his choice wasn’t stupid.

You know why you read so much about that “fighting spirit” around here? Because we’re an intelligent lot, who are experienced. We know the value of tactics and intellect.

We tend to lean toward intellectual honesty. Even when it may seem to go against a cause we support. Integrity is kind of a big deal.

9. Tony says:

Walla.. thanks nota. A discussion is due on this topic. I am gonna sit back for few and see if anyone else is willing to explain why taking a right hook to the face is not grounds for having you ass shot. I have already been called down for being too “respectful” but I do respect your opinion and you willingness to express it. Thanks for showing up Nota,
    Tony

10. Rockheim says:

The difference is that you don’t get into a fight for no reason. this was no reason. Ego is no reason. Insults are no reason.
    There was absolutely ZERO upside to this confrontation. None. Nada. By going outside and engaging this tool the clerk INVITED violence. He INVITED the attack he received. And carrying a weapon is a responsibility. A deadly responsibility to be taken as such. Not a ball-sack enhancer.

Some DB screaming outside a business to be let in isn’t a threat. He’s an annoyance to be ignored. And idiot to be told the rules. And if that doesn’t work a fool to be tresspassed from the property by the authorities.

What was the outcome of this? What POSSIBLE outcome did the clerk hope to elicit from going outside and acting in an openly hostile manner? To out “thug” the idiot and get him to leave? To show that his red ass was bigger than the others and scare him away? No. He was looking for a fight. He had 9mm of courage backing him up and he was going to flex those muscles. A person who will willfully SEEK OUT an altercation is someone who should NEVER have a gun on their person. That’s not what it’s for. You aren’t Frank Castle. You aren’t Batman. You aren’t even a cop. You’re a clerk. It’s your job to tend the store and not seek out physical altercations with drunks or thugs while on duty.

Now. Had this DB broken in or kicked in the door.. that’s a different story. But he didn’t. He was an impotent jerk on the other side of a pane of tempered glass putting on a show.

To bring the fight TO him was a mistake. And this shooting was 150% preventable and only cements the notion that people who carry are short fused, irresponsible jerks just looking for ANY reason to gun someone down.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^Yep^ ^ ^ ^ ^

12. rj says:

yup @ Nota, Rock,

Tony if you dont get it from the post from Nota and Rock ya likely never will.

This goes to making adult decisions instead of acting just like the punk.

Any one who takes on the responsibility of gun ownership or concealed carry better have their head on straight and not be thinking the gun makes them invincible.

There are times to fight and times to use the brain God gave you to avoid the confrontation, if ya don’t know the difference ya shouldn’t carry a gun and you should not go out at night.

There are only two outcomes to a deadly confrontation in our society.

1) You are dead.

2) You are alive and your life is irrevocably fucked up. In this case, dude lost his job and there are people who hate his guts marching in the street. There will be editorials calling him a racist attempted murderer. He will be sued by the thug with the bullet in his chest, guaranteed. Win or lose in that civil suit, it is going to be costly for the clerk. The thug’s buddies are going to have it in for him forever. He is always going to be looking over his shoulder for an ambush for years to come.

I don’t like either of those options and will do everything I can to avoid being forced to make this no-good-outcome choice. I wouldn’t have opened the door and I would have my job, there would be no people who hate me marching in the street. There would be no media editorials calling me evil. I wouldn’t be getting sued. I wouldn’t be a marked man living in fear from the inevitable pay back.

If forced to choose between 1 and 2, I will choose 2. I will, however, do everything I can to avoid being forced to choose between 1 and 2.

14. Tony says: