Preppers Vindicated: Part 7

The following set of Real Revo posts are fictional. None of this happened.

The story up to this point can be found here.

May 12th, 0813: I got up early and drove up to Marv’s and laid on the horn. Marv came out and he didn’t look good. He told me Kent is sick. He has it. I felt like the elevator just dropped down the shaft. I got tunnel vision. I dropped to my knees. Marv must be a carrier after all because he doesn’t have it even though he said he was caring for my boy.

I asked how bad. It is bad. He is coughing and is having difficulty catching his breath. He is in pain all over. I wanted to so badly go in and see him but knew I couldn’t. I talk to Marv from the road and he said he would do his best to car for him. I had to leave. I couldn’t even take the meat from the heifer or the jars.

I went back to the house and grabbed one of the two FRS/GMRS radios I had been charging when the generator was running and drove back up to Marv’s. I left it out on the road for him to retrieve.

Marv took it in and I was able to talk to Kent. He had a difficult time responding without causing a coughing jag so it was pretty much one way. I told him I loved him, that I was sorry and that I would take the radio back to his wife and children immediately. I did. It was gut retching.

We have established a communications window at the top of the hour, every hour. Otherwise, the radios will be off to preserve battery power.

May 12th, 0922: Kent is strong. If anyone is going to survive this it will be Kent. We are all praying. When he makes it through, he will be immune and out of the woods. It will be behind him. I believe he will make it.

When he does recover, however, he won’t be able to come home. Not if he is still contagious. We have no way of knowing how long he will remain contagious. None at all. He will have to stay at Marv’s. Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn’t make sense for us all to go up to Marv’s, one at a time, until we are all exposed. It would be a real relief. It isn’t going happen, however. I can’t take a 20% chance of killing my children and wife. We are just going have to tough this out.

May 12th, 0922: My boy is suffering. I can’t stand it. I am not going to be able to post for a while.

May 14th, 0741: It has been two days since my last post and I Kent is still with us. I am given to understand that, if he hasn’t succumbed by now, he will survive. Thank God. In fact, I think our prayers have been answered and he is improving. He was even able to speak with his wife for a couple of minutes. The anger I felt for Marv is abating. He has taken good care of my son and, for that, I am grateful.

May 14th, 0941: There are reports of riots in some of the larger cities and heavy handed force to put them down. St. Louis and Chicago seem particularly bad. All I have is the radio but it sounds pretty serious.

May 14th, 1325: Here we go. We just heard on the radio that, due to the disaster, the President has issued and executive order suspending aspects of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and I am going by memory here, the right to Habeus Corpus, the right to trial, the right to free speech and the right to assembly. The order also gives various government departments control over all modes of transportation, the ports and all food resources and farms. It also said something about plans to mobilize civilians into work brigades under government supervision. There was other stuff too, I just can’t recall right now. It was an order that was supposed to expire in 180 days. We shall see. The talking head on the radio read it like she was reading the farm report and it was the most unremarkable thing she had ever heard.

It seems like bluster for now. I haven’t seen sign of any government since the National Guard troops I saw on the fist day. Well, I did see a group of five aircraft that looked and sounded like fighter jets leave contrails across the sky yesterday, I guess. They were too high to identify. Whatever the case, things are getting even more troubling.

It is another beautiful day here in farm country. The wife and kids are working in the garden. If the grass in my yard wasn’t a foot tall, you wouldn’t know a thing was wrong.

18 Responses to Preppers Vindicated: Part 7

1. fubar says:

re: canned meat

I’ve never done it myself, but it had to be pressure canned. Have no idea of the shelf life or the taste afterwards.

anybody else have experience in this, or should i do a trial run and post results?

If Brad were here, he would tell you that his mother sent canned fried chicken to a relative in Vietnam during the war.

Absolutely try it out. You know what our goals here are. It would be a great project for the Revo.

The University of Alaska Extension Service has a lot of information on how to properly preserve foods. Canning meat and fish is very popular there. They have information on preserving in cans or jars. Here is a link to info on putting up meat in jars:

This is probably one of the best sites on the web for this kind of information.

4. rj says:

dont know the details of how but mom canned beef chunks in broth when i was a kid, could the be used as roast beef, cut into smaller chunks for veg soup, beef stew etc… was good and lasted years, storeage wasin inderground celler.

5. Notamobster says:

My cousin cabs meat. They eat a lot of venison. She says its good. I’ll wait to hear what you tell us fubar. I have bought canned me from pleasant hill grain and it was very good. I got their sampler. It had one can each, chicken, turkey, pork, beef. The beef smelled/tasted like dog food. Rest was very good. I east canned fish all the time. :-) (tuna)

6. Rockheim says:

The Wife and I are going to give pressure canning meat a shot in the coming months.. We already can pear sauce and tomatoes (SQUEEZO FTW!!!11!!)
    This weekend we start dispatching our flock of old hens and cycle in the new ones (just got it moving this am) but I don’t know if old hens are a proper meat to can. From my understanding they’re good for stewing, slowcooking the snot out of them and stock..
    But then again.. You can pressure can stews, chili and the lot so maybe we will give it a go.
    First things first though.. Time to rebuild my cone and start working through the old hens…

Aside.. Nothing will make you feel simultaneously younger and an idiot than chasing stupid chickens around the run and garden to get them rounded up…

7. ray davies says:

Good story, can’t wait to see where it goes next. A Doc friend of mine has written a book abnd needs help. It’s a good read please check it out and rate it. THANKS
    Here’s how to help:
    1. Go to the HarperCollins Authonomy website: http://authonomy.com/books/46871/the-crossing/read-book/#chapter
    2. Read as much as you wish and register (there is no obligation and HarperCollins will not send you email). This takes only a few minutes.
    4. Search for the book using: Kerstetter in the search bar. My book will pop up.
    5. Back my book with the “Back the Book” link
    6. Rate my book with the “Rate the Book” link
    The “breakout” promotional runs only through December 5, but please read it as soon as you can.

8. fubar says:

@Rockheim
    >>>understanding they’re good for stewing, slowcooking the snot out of them and stock..

I would think that your old hens would be perfect for canning. just like other foods, you cook, pack hot and then it’s basically cooked again during the sealing/canning process.

I’m preparing my order for chicks in the spring too, what breed do you raise? i am thinking buff orpingtons -dual meat and egg breed. Right now I have white leghorns.

I think i’ll start with Pork since we have a freezer full and we don’t butcher beef til January.

This just a tad off topic, but a followup of previous comments on “preppers vindicated”

I was talking with my heat and air tech and asked what thoughts he had on generators and hooking them to natural gas furnaces. He said OK, but only use generators that specified an invertor system with Pulse Width Modification (PWM). The newer and more efficient heating systems have several microcomputers which can be blitzed with the swing on start-up with a cheaper gen. The inverter type don’t do that. He mentioned to also be careful with electric tools that had similar processors.

So…I went searching and found that feature on higher priced models like Yamaha and Honda. An added feature of these gens is much quieter and longer running time. Wish in one hand…..

10. fubar says:

>If the grass in my yard wasn’t a foot tall, you wouldn’t know a thing was wrong.

too bad Mr. Rural Protagonist doesn’t have some livestock grazing on that grass.

On Ray Davies recommendation:

The bio on that page says that the doc is a wounded warrior in real life?

I read the first page. I plan to read the whole thing. Your friends command of the English language is incredible. The prose is lovely.

I highly recommend that any readers among us, take a look at that link. If not for the writing, do it for a man who gave more than any of us ever have!

12. Rockheim says:

We have a mix of Golden Comets (buffs), Red Sex links and Ameracaunas (Easter eggers).. 17 birds in all.

We had a couple Roosters since we went st. run from Tractor Supply for most of our hens and rolled the dice.. But since we had no need for flock protection and weren’t going to hatch we culled them after 1 year.. And they were DELICIOUS.. Made the best soup I’ve ever had.

Our flock lasted over 2 years before egg production dropped off a cliff and they also got a taste for their own eggs.. Bad news for them..

In the interests of keeping things simple we went straight Golden Buffs this time around from Meyer Hatchery.

We may try meat birds this coming spring.. But that’s a committment and you can’t change your mind. 8-10 weeks.. hatch to table.. You have to harvest them. After 10 weeks they can’t walk anymore.. they develop breathing problems and all sorts of other issues since they’ve been bred to put on so much weight so fast.

But egg layers.. man.. Good times. Easy to care for.. easy everything. Even the whole processing gig isn’t terrible and a fairly simply affair. However. I do believe I’m going to make my own chicken plucker tub next time around. Feathering isn’t difficult.. but nothing compares to just droppijng the hens into the barrel and letting it pick them squeaky clean in seconds..

13. locke n load says:

Well if the archives were a bit more manageable I’d just link ou all to the ballad of couq a vin but since I can’t dresge it up I’ll leave it to the likes of RD or Nota to drege it up.
    Worth a read if you’re a beginner looking for egg layers and how to raise them….

14. fubar says:

@Rockheim
    yeah,in the past we went that route with capons AND turkeys. some of our turkeys were 40 lbs DRESSED weight, running joke in our family, that we get too busy to do stuff on schedule.

I’ve had banties lay religiously for 5 yrs, but they get broody and hatch every year (which i can sell locally ) but the eggs are supersmall. They also don’t like to be confined (escape artists) and I have to confine them we have too many hawks. I like sex-links too. we usually have Rhodies (Reds) but we got the last hatch from the elem. school project (straight run)
    I don’t mind the unfeathering the intestines are the most horrible substance on earth. Instead of scalding we use a torch.
    It also helps to not have neighbors stumble along and see what you are doing. Unbelievable how many people think their food comes from a grocery store.

this might be helpful

15. fubar says:

@Locke

you mean this? i love it!

16. Notamobster says:

Locke: All you have to do is type in the title of the post in either of the two search boxes in this very page. Quite simple, really.

1) find search box
    2) enter coq
    3) hit enter
    4) et voila!

Nota is one of the few who knows about the hidden Revo search dialog.

Or maybe its all in Poor Richard’s head.