Taxes And Rules On Junk Food Are Coming

So who will decide the standard for what constitutes as a “junk food” item?

Larry Summers, chair of the White House National Economic Council when the 2009 stimulus was developed, suggested that President Obama will eventually tax and regulate junk food to drive people to eat more healthily — although he dinged First Lady Michelle Obama’s healthy foods initiative.

“I think there is no question that the way Americans eat and what Americans weigh is a big contributor to health problems and it’s a big contributor to health costs,” Summers said on Morning Joe today.It’s not the agenda now, but I think at some point you’re going to see tax measures and regulatory measures that are going to be directed at helping people be healthier. That’s just going to happen and I think it’s probably a good thing when it does.”

Help you. All this just to help you. You see, silly citizen, you are not able to manage your own life. You must be helped and corrected by Mr. Leviathan through taxes and regulation. It is for your own good and you will be better off for it. So take your nourishment cube and shut up.

Here.

13 Responses to Taxes And Rules On Junk Food Are Coming

EBT card members are going to be pissed off about this, I can tell you. I am all for regulating what peopple can and can’t purchase with their EBT cards. Not because I give a shit about how fat 90% of the users are, but because if I can’t afford that box of Zingers that I so desperatley want without being on food stamps, why should they be able to live a life of food luxury while being on the dole? My rationale is much different than that of Larry Summers.

Soylent Green is people!

3. rj says:

I’m witha ya Bman, there should be no purchases with EBT cards that do not have to be cooked with the exception of fresh fruits and veggies.
    I am sick to know that taxes are used to subsidize junk food junkies who have no regard for their own health.

I believe the food program needs to be simply this, you can collect rice,beans,cheese and peanut butter and powdered milk from a gov warehouse or purchase the equilivant at a grocery store.

Anyone caught selling or trading their ration of govt commodity food is longer is elegible for any govt ration or program payment

I bet ya’d see food stamp programs drop off then.

I’ve supported a staple-foods based food stamp system for years. If our desire is to truly help people survive, then let’s do that.

Milk, flour, beans, rice, meat, fruit, vegetables.

Ingredients, basically. No prepared foods!

Of course you are all mistakenly assuming the purpose of the food stamp program is to provide supplemental nutritional assistance to those who couldn’t otherwise afford to buy enough food.

Silly Revoistas!

hahahaha!!!! Touche. Nice to be reminded now & then.

7. fubar says:

convenience stores be warned! your fate is hereby prophesied !

i’m dreading the anarchy when millions of people are deprived of caffeinated soda.

8. fubar says:

@Bman

zingers look easy enough to make. or better yet, get someone else to make them for you, tastes better that way.

When zingers are banned, only criminals will have zingers. That would be us. Or else the mexican cartel could start running pastries.

Fubar- you are the coolest of the cool! Thanks! I will let you know how they turn out.

Michelle’s ass would get smaller.

12. fubar says:

I was just thinking of this driving around – when is this going to start affecting those that sell baked goods out of their house ?
    the excessive labeling and regs on selling at the farmer’s market has already killed business there.

Just got back from the Lutheran School’s Christmas get together. Lots of fun with dear people. Also a big hall set up with tables of breads, cakes, cookies, fruit pies, meat pies, etc. Making money for the poor and their school. That’s short lived. Have to have ingredients listed on everything. “We have to protect the children”

The wookie has only started to get pissy. Just wait until they slap that yardstick on her fat ass once a week to see which way it’s going.