USDA: Rural America Less Relevant

Ag Sec’y: Rural America becoming ‘less and less relevant’…

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack has some harsh words for rural America: It’s “becoming less and less relevant,” he says.

A month after an election that Democrats won even as rural parts of the country voted overwhelmingly Republican, the former Democratic governor of Iowa told farm belt leaders this past week that he’s frustrated with their internecine squabbles and says they need to be more strategic in picking their political fights.

“It’s time for us to have an adult conversation with folks in rural America,” Vilsack said in a speech at a forum sponsored by the Farm Journal. “It’s time for a different thought process here, in my view.”[…]

It’s the fact that rural America with a shrinking population is becoming less and less relevant to the politics of this country, and we had better recognize that and we better begin to reverse it.”

10 Responses to USDA: Rural America Less Relevant

1. Greg B says:

I wonder how irrelevant rural America is when they decide to maybe only grow enough crops and raise enough livestock for themselves.

2. Dusty says:

Right on Greg! Or us rural NM ranchers decide enough of this pansie ass crap and we secure the border next to our property line with a few well place rifle rounds. Let the buzzard’s pick the carcasses clean!

3. oh yes, let’s! I don’t want to be “relevant” to this regime. I want to be invisible. He actually got my hopes up. But something tells me they will send the troops anyway……

4. fubar says:

>>>It’s time for us to have an adult conversation with folks in rural America,”

that’s not possible because leftists are immature children who ‘think’ with emotions and can’t see any point of view but their own statist one

5. fubar says:

i’m sure this irrelevant statement is in response to complaints about the lack of a farm bill.

What a dick. I actually served on an advisory council for this guy back in the 1990s when he was governor. I always walked away thinking the dude wasn’t too bright. That wasn’t a partisan conclusion. I was stunned how he couldn’t get the messages of the council no matter how carefully they were explained.

7. RJM says:

I think Vilsac is irrelevant.

If rural states are irrelevant, is there a problem if they secede and do their own thing?

9. Ray Davies says:

Our FORMER governor (Iowa) I guess we’re not a farm state any morer.

10. Rich says:

Oh yes, let us make the people providing the food irrelevant.

And oh by the way, let us actually reduce CO2 levels sufficiently as to impede photosynthesis to the point where it kills off the plant life, which will kill off the animal life, and … oh SH**! That means killing off me! DO OVER! DO OVER!

God: Sorry dude. This is reality. No reboots allowed.