Pucker Power

Can you watch this full screen all the way through?

I can’t. I also cannot imagine why anyone would try this. It’s called El Caminito Del Rey (The King’s little road). It’s in Spain.

11 Responses to Pucker Power

1. Rockheim says:

I could be mistaken but I think there’s one or two OSHA code violations there..

I could force myself to do it, but there’s no way in hades, I would ever do it voluntarily.

I wouldn’t even walk the sidewalk portions, voluntarily. I had a minor adrenal spike (fear response) just watching it.

I don’t have any trouble with heights, just unsecured heights. I’ve rappelled with no issues (other than initial fear) because I was secured in the rigging. Yeah, unsecured heights scare the crap out of me.

As a former rock climber and paratrooper, that doesn’t bother me. For some reason, this one seems worse to me. I think it feels more uncontrolled due to the camera action.

• R.D. Walker says:

I climbed a 400′ tower at night when I was 14 on a dare. It was in Cedar Rapids and I could see Iowa City from the top. I had no protective gear at all. I tied a string of pennants at the top as proof.

Years later, that tower came down in a storm and killed someone in the building it landed on.

• notamobster says:

Oh absolutely freaking not! I’m good at forcing myself to operate through fear. I don’t let it control me. That said – there’s no circumstance under which I could imagine forcing myself to climb that thing! Nope. Not. Gonna. Happen.

4. Rockheim says:

Funny.. True story. Working with one of our tower crews they had a new guy. Said new guy was full of himself. Watches old guy donning gear.. picking up tools. Taking his time. “Man.. hurry it up”. “think you could do better?” “Shit yeah I can.” Said he could get up to the top of the tower faster than the old guy.. Old guy smiles.. “Go for it”.. New guy blazes up the tower.. Only 200ft.. Gets to the top.. winded, tired.. panting.. Into the radio “Ha.. beat that..” laughter ensues.. “Sorry.. this antenna change is a one man job.. congrats on volunteering.”
    Silence on the radio.
    Cold day at the bottom. Even colder on top. Ha ha..
    But wait. It gets better.
    They send him up the antenna.. the brackets. He does the work. Takes a few hours. He takes pictures which he sends down. I sweep the lines.. Give them the ok. He tells the new guy he can come down.
    Once he’s about 1/3 of the way down he stops. Has to rest for a few.. then starts down again.
    I look over at the crew lead.. Look at the top of the tower.. lean over.. “Hey.. isn’t that his hard hat strapped to the stay there?”
    “Yup.”
    “Is anyone going to tell him?”
    “Once he gets down here.. yeah. I don’t like to shout.”
    “Man.. that sucks.”
    “Yup. But I guarantee he’ll never do it again.”

5. RJ says:

I used to have no fear of heights, now not so much, I get dizzy watching my wife play video games involving heights. The vid had the same effect.

Stupidist thing I ever done one time involved driving about 75 miles out from Vegas to a place called red rock conservation area, walking two hours into the desert with nothing but a pint of water and a camera, in sneakers, shorts and tank top sunglasses and cap. I then freeclimbed two hours up a mountain, at the end of which I found myself about 40 up on a sheer verticle rock face and run completly out of hand and toe holds, was short of the summit about 40 feet

I looked down and realized if I fell the buzzards and coyotes would feast on my flesh cause NO ONE had any clue where I was or what I was doing. My wife would not have missed me until I didn’t show up for dinner as she was in a business conference.

I managed to reverse course and get back to the shelf below me, took some great photos and then hiked back to the car. That was the last time I climbed anything higher than a step ladder.

I was a rock climber in west germany as a young man, but no way on this “sidewalk”. I was young and stupid, but now I have life experiences to help me survive. My body and my mind would say “are you stupid or what?”

7. seagypsy says:

I’ve hiked the Nankoweap Trail into the eastern side of Grand Canyon National Park with my brother, the last trip going up and over the ridge to the next canyon south, called Kwagunt, off trail. It was a cakewalk compared to this. The ropes or cables that belay you are probably almost as questionable as the “path” itself. If the belays are anything decent it wouldn’t be very hard. Here’s a trip report of the GC trip we took in 2007.

8. ventucky local says:

You’re clipped into a fixed rope on this limestone traverse the entire way. As long as the bolts aren’t ancient no worries brah!