GOP won’t help Obama stifle civil rights

That is pretty much the complaint Obama is making.

President Obama is suggesting that House Republicans on the issue of gun control appear neither willing to work with him nor listen to the American public on the issue.

“The House Republican majority is made up mostly of members who are in sharply gerrymandered districts that are very safely Republican and may not feel compelled to pay attention to broad-based public opinion, because what they’re really concerned about is the opinions of their specific Republican constituencies,” the president said in an interview with The New Republic.

Obama also said he can get 50 percent of public support for many of his upcoming initiatives, but “I can’t get enough votes out of the House of Representatives to actually get something passed. … I think there is still shock on the part of some in the party that I won re-election.”

Damned right we are shocked. If I live another 50 years I will still be shocked. I am stunned that the parasite class has gotten as large as it has.

He says that Republicans and may not feel compelled to pay attention to broad-based public opinion. Do you know who else didn’t feel compelled to pay attention to broad-based public opinion? Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, the marchers in Selma and the Freedom Riders.

Broad based public opinion across the pre-civil rights movement American South was that segregation was proper and that separate but equal was fair. The thing is, Americans recognized then that a 51 percent majority does NOT have the authority or the power to suppress the rights of the other 49 percent. Minorities have rights regardless of the opinions of majorities. Being a member of a minority group does not put you at the mercy of the majority.

Some, but not all, of our basic rights are listed in the Bill of Rights of the United States Constitution. Listed right there is the right of the people to keep and bear arms. Self defense is a natural right and is preliminary to the writing of the Constitution. It is no more subject to the whims of majorities bent on suppression than is the right of black Americans to sit where they choose on a bus or at a diner.

Obama, believing he has a majority, is willing to play the role of Bull Connor. Connor, like Obama, understood he had the broad-based support of the public and was willing to use it to limit the civil rights of the minority group. Politically, Obama sees majority rule in EXACTLY the same way as the enforcers of Jim Crow saw it: Majority rules.

Obama is not a supporter of civil rights of any group that does not meet his approval. Make no mistake, gun owners do not meet his approval and, therefore, are subject to whatever oppression he can muster.

Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to GOP won’t help Obama stifle civil rights

  1. notamobster says:

    Quick list of others who disagreed with the majority opinion (off the top of my head):

    Abolitionists (antebellum)
    Thomas Paine
    Jesus Christ
    Spartans @ Thermopylae
    Galileo Galilee
    Einstein
    Christopher Columbus
    Our Founding Fathers
    Martin Luther (the Monk, not the King)
    The soldiers @ Battle of the bulge
    _____________________

    Branch Davidians
    Randy Weaver
    Native Americans
    WWI troops who were promised a war bonus
    Japanese Interns
    Jews during WWII
    US troops in Bataan
    Kulaks in revolutionary era Russia
    Poles under German occupation
    Modern day Israel
    etc, etc, etc…

    Barry’s a tool.

  2. VVV says:

    Obama can’t seem to understand we have a Constitutional Republic and not a pure democracy where 51% runover the 49% (mob rule).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>