Chuck Schumer is sponsoring an Orwellian named monstrosity designed to make gun ownership, as a practical matter, impossible. It controls literally ALL transfers of weapons. Just handing your rifle to a friend or neighbor to look at could land you a felony rap and put you in federal prison for five ass pounding years.
Here are the implications…
- If you left town for more than 7 days, and left your gay partner, or unrelated roommate at home with the guns, you’d be committing a felony. This should be called the “denying gun rights to gays act.” Remember that the federal government does not recognize gay marriage, even if you’re state does, thanks to DOMA. 5 years in prison.
- Actually, even married couples are questionably legal, because the exemption between family only applies to gifts, not to temporary transfers. The 7 day implication is if you leave your spouse at home for more than 7 days, it’s an unlawful transfer, and you’re a 5 year felon. I suppose you could gift them to your spouse, or related co-habitant, and then have them gift them back when you arrive back home. Maybe the Attorney General will decide to create a form for that.
- It would be illegal to lend a gun to a friend to take shooting. That would be a transfer. 5 years in federal prison.
- Steals the livelihood of gun dealers by setting a fixed fee to conduct transfers. The fee is fixed by the Attorney General. What’s to prevent him from setting it at $1000?
- Enacts defacto universal gun registration, because of record keeping requirements.
- All lost and stolen guns must be reported to the federal and local government. This means everyone will have to fill out the theft/loss form, and not just FFLs. You only have 24 hours to comply. If you lose a gun on a hunting trip deep in the woods, and can’t get back home to fill out the form in 24 hours, you’re a felon and will spend 5 years in federal prison.
- Want to lend a gun to a friend to go hunting? It’s a 5 year in prison felony.
- No exception for state permits. All transfers must go through a dealer or 5 years in federal prison.
- UPDATE: Teaching someone to shoot on your own land is a felony, 5 years, if you hand them the gun. Not an exempted transfer.